Yank shoots Brit dead in Hua Hin

Fidel

Then things have changed -- or the police connection made it easy. Used to be very hard to get a permit just to keep a pistol in your own home. Probably still is without a friend in brown.

A pistol would sound more likely in this shooting, though all reports so far say it was a rifle. Plus the only pistols I've seen in Thailand -- except for homemade "zip guns" -- have been .38 cal (9 mm) or .45 cal (11 mm).

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flash,

I knew a cop up here in our village area (dead of AIDS now) that had a S&W .357 revolver, but yeah, all others I have seen have been 9's and .45s. Many of the villages have a 'gunsmith' that makes the 'rat' rifles you see guys carrying all the time into the rice fields and bush to shoot game. I have no idea of the caliber these use. I suspect .22 though, as the bore on the ones I saw close up was small. One old gent in my village was/is the local gunsmith and rocket builder. Many of the locals in Surin, the Hi-so and Thai/Chinese business owners carry a pistol for defense against robbery. I suspect the gun used in this tragedy was a rat hunting .22 rifle. They are fairly ubiquitous here, at least upcountry. And handed down in the family. So it's quite possible the American's wife had one such as this, the family hunting rifle. I think with enough money and some connections most could get a permit to carry here. Also the local village leaders usually have a permit and have a pistol. They seem to be 'deputized' and act as 'village police' until the cops can be called in if there are problems.

I also have a Thai friend from Chiang Mai who has a .9 he keeps in his glove box of his taxi/mini-van when taking customers around the Golden Triangle area in his taxi for-hire business. He said it was because there are still bandits in the area and it is to protect his customers and himself against robbery. He is very very skilled and accurate with his .9. He is Thai Air Force, retired. He brought me to the local shooting range before where they had .9s, .45s, shotguns for rent to use on the range.

Also, years ago, a German man was shot up here after getting into a traffic altercation and foolishly giving the Thai man the 'finger'. I'd avoid doing this, as yes, there are many guns around and you never know who has one, and Thais know quite well what the finger means and are much more sensitive about having someone direct that finger at them than westerners are. Road rage is not uncommon here as well, as is drunk driving. Liquor and weapons are a very bad mix.

Just some observations on what I have seen here on this 'gun' topic.

Cent

Flash,

I'll also add, when the Cambodians were rioting and burning the Thai embassy and/or Thai businesses a while back the locals here near the border areas started setting up daily roadblocks searching for illegal Khmer immigrants sneaking in along the border highways. All these roadblocks were manned with armed men from each village. There was quite a collection of weapons displayed. Not only pistols, but shotguns, rifles, and, AK's and M-16s even I spotted on my nightly drives up to the village. What had me nervous was how many of these guys were sitting about armed and dangerous, and passing around the Lao Khao bottles and beers. Many were staggering drunk. And all wanted to chat with the farang when they stopped me. Was a hairy experience those few months until they finally dismantled the roadblocks. This wasn't that long ago really. Coupla years maybe? I hate seeing weapons in a drunken man's hands. Very dangerous.

Cent

If you go west of Thieves market in China town, there are a lot of stores that sell weapons, some specializing in hand guns and long guns. I was amazed of the variety and calibres available. In some cases, their selection was better then it is in most USA gun stores. One type of gun I have not seen in Thailand is the 50 caliber sniper rifle (good for 1 mile or more) nor armor piercing ammo.

What would be interesting is the type of shell the American used. 22 shells come in almost worthless varieties to some that are extremely lethal.

Pistol, rifle, homemade, licensed, unlicensed.. who cares?

The accused made a conscious decison to allow it in his house. If you're not prepared to kill or maim someone with it "and" face the consequences, then don't own one.

Piss and anger completed the tragic picture!

:beer:

Here in Ariona, USA we are taught rapid fire shooting which consist of 2 bullets to the heart and one to the head. You only use a gun if you attend to kill somebody. There are strict guidelines when a gun can be used. In this case, the American had retreated to the bedroom, even after the Brit took his wife. When the Brit decided to go to the bedroom, it appears there was enough reasons to use lethal force. I think the deciding factor was when the Brit seized the guy's wife.

As for shooting a person in the leg? Harder to do then you can imagine. And if the Brit still had the American's wife, might have been impossible to shoot the Brit in the leg.

Maybe I'm missing something but is it stated anywhere that the shooter was a gun expert?

Most people don't think clearly when cornered. Hell it's even a war tactic to NOT put your enemy in a corner.

I'm sure all the posters here though would be perfectly calm and level headed when pushed into a corner with a gun to defend themself.

Sure as hell easy to judge somebody sitting way up on the throne isn't it?

It's funny though how the American must have been crazy when drunk but the Brit was probably straight sober in the Americans house, amirite?

Here in Ariona, USA we are taught rapid fire shooting which consist of 2 bullets to the heart and one to the head. You only use a gun if you attend to kill somebody. There are strict guidelines when a gun can be used. In this case, the American had retreated to the bedroom, even after the Brit took his wife. When the Brit decided to go to the bedroom, it appears there was enough reasons to use lethal force. I think the deciding factor was when the Brit seized the guy's wife.

As for shooting a person in the leg? Harder to do then you can imagine. And if the Brit still had the American's wife, might have been impossible to shoot the Brit in the leg.

It seems you were actually there to witness the incident, glad you made it out unscathed :thumbup:

Archived