Scumbag British Gutter Press

Mekong

To summarise:

1. He says that he's never had pints chucked over him in Pattaya in the way described. Another guy said he had.

2. A different guy said he'd met him once in a blow-job bar. He now denies 'receiving services' of that fashion in a bar, although he could still have been in one, I guess (yes, Grousie - I noticed you left some room there! Not receiving maybe but... :) )

3. He's the last person in the English speaking world to still use the word "wallies"! :D

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right to question this. It really is a very thin line.

Let me give you an example. A few years ago, many actually, I was commissioned by a newspaper to do a consumer survey on Reebok shoes (They were selling in the UK for about £50 a pair)

I rang Reebok. Can I visit your factories? No!

I rang the factories. Can I visit? Yes.

The factories were fine. State of the art in fact. I wrote my piece. The strongest line was the usual one. i.e. factory girls earn less than £100 a month, production costs are about £3 a shoe. Most of Reebokâ??s costs were on its US salaries and marketing etc.

But before I filed it I told a couple of business friends what I was doing. They laughed and then told me about Reebokâ??s impending party.

The World Vice Presidents of Reebok had turned up in Bangkok for either a quarterly or annual meeting. In doing do they completed cleared about two bars in Patpong and took the girls on a boat up the Chao Phya, then onwards and upwards. Some of the girls earned a lot more in a night than the factory girls did in a month.

I phoned Reebok asked them about the party and filed the story.

The company went ballistic. They sent two cars loads of lawyers to the newspaper in question and tried to get an injunction to stop publication.

They withdrew however when the newspaper produced the photographs.

Reebok is a champion of human rights of course

So was this story justified?

A lot of people think not. I think it was? But do you? There was a certain amount of muckraking involved.

There are very few places in Thailand where foreigners go that I have not been and that includes bars like this.

I followed a guy called Storey, who was wanted for murder in Scotland into one of these bars.

I have already denied the suggestion. However I am sure you can see the impracticality of trying to follow somebody while a bargirl is attached to your private parts.

Archived