Osama invites you to embrace Islam

Flashermac

Personal freedom is very important to Westerners. Islam means total submission to God. Even Christians don't go that far. Capitalism isn't perfect but it works.

Osama doesn't understand Western thinking. He would be much further ahead if he said...'you leave us alone with our beliefs and we'll leave you alone with yours.'

Islam also means not questioning the faith. I have friends who majored in theology in the US. They tell me most of their classmates were agnostics. They study comparative religion for insights into ancient thinking; view religion for its philosophy and psychology; analyse the Bible to see if it is consistent etc.

e.g. They take the alleged words of Jesus in the Bible and compare them, breaking them down into 3 groups: those Jesus probably said, those Jesus may have said, and those which are contrary to Jewish thinking of the time and are almost certainly later additions reflecting Greek thinking.

Theology in the west is an academic discipline. In Islam theology means memorizing the Qu'ran verbatim, possibly with some attention to the Hadith. One does not question; one BELIEVES.

Thus it is very difficult for east and west to understand each other's religious thinking, which is a big part of the problem. Maybe it takes someone like a Lebanese or Syrian Christian to understand both sides.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I found amusing during APEC was that Bush spoke more about the "War on Terror" than anything related to economics. I wonder if the Osama tape was raised to help boost moral for his "Good Friend" John Howard?

Sure there is a lot that is not great about US Democracy, and there are some things that are down right yucky. But I hold by my opinion. I can't answer what is best because that is a very subjective question. You would have to know what each of you would site as an example of "what makes something the best." An I bet none of us can agree to that.

Is it money? Or power? Or is it national pride or the crime rate? So much could go into "What is best" that the word itself looses meaning from one person to another. And why many can never agree to "what is best" even among a football league.

What a load of waffle. :rolleyes:

Archived