90 days out of 180 warning

khunsanuk

Hi,

I just received word from an acquaintance who emailed me from the airport saying he was not allowed back into Thailand. The reason: he had more than 90 days in Thailand out of the last 180.

He now has to fly out again and can re-enter Thailand in a couple of days.

This is the first time I hear of them enforcing this.

Sanuk!

interesting!

how did they found out? from their system or by calculating the days in his passport?

how many days did he exceed the 180 days?

was he already over the 90 days when he left last time and how many times

i have a spreadsheet on my laptop where i calculate the days spent in LOS as i certainly do not want to risk this!

I was under the impression that is what the 30 day border runners are doing now (3 border runs + tourist visa + extension, then repeat). It's totally legit. The reason they put the 90 in 180 rule in place is to force people who live in Thailand to go to a consulate and apply for a visa once and a while so they can perform background checks on them.

The rules are clearly marked at the airport, no more than 90 days in any 180 if arriving without a visa and getting a visa exempt entry stamp. This guy probably has to go out and get a visa (tourist or whatever) first at an embassy.

They seem to just pick up on serial back to back visa exempt entries certainly at land borders and less so at the airport. There are numerous others who have multiple VE entries that may total more than 90 in 180 but let through if they are clearly working somewhere else for less than 90 in the 180. I am such a case!

...There are numerous others who have multiple VE entries that may total more than 90 in 180 but let through if they are clearly working somewhere else for less than 90 in the 180. I am such a case!

Me too. And they usually do not seem to care because they can see I am not working here, just flipping thru my passport quickly and then stamping me in.

BUT, last time in, they spent the time to add them all up. New immi officer or a directive to enforce this more? :dunno:

Cheers,

SD

Archived