How many people are hiding in SE Asia?

unit731

OK, we'll skip the law.

Let's say just hiding from bill collectors or a spouse or just family or business reasons.

It is questions/reasons such as this, that make me suspicious when ever I see someone on this board or any board looking for another person. The paranoid in me thinks "oh, this is an ex/PI/Tax guy etc, looking for this guy...or just some nut stalker.

I have met guys with all sorts of stories over the years, some of the stories I know to be true, mainly that guys just wanted to start a new life for what ever reason, and as the liked Thailand/SEA, chose that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way of really knowing, but I would think many would be telling an elaborated version of the truth. Around 20 years ago when I was in Mukdahan I got friendly with an American guy who claimed to be an ex military officier, working unofficially for the US government(DEA) and was also making clandestine trips into Laos in search of missing servicemen. I found it hard to believe at the time, but many years later, I searched for him on the internet using the details on the business card he gave me. Much to my suprise, everything he had told me was the truth, if anything he'd understated some events. It's suprising who you can bump into in Asia.

i have met a couple of guys in Thailand and the Philippines' date=' who would have probably to go to jail if they go back to their homecountry![/quote']

then what happens when their passport expires ?

I doubt they give you a new one if you have a felony record outstanding !

OC

Unless you're a notorious paedophile or something I doubt they're going to check. Embassy staff are just going to stamp the paperwork and issue the passport. I doubt they have links to police databases unless you're on some sort of wanted list.

then what happens when their passport expires ?

I doubt they give you a new one if you have a felony record outstanding !

I'd have thought any serious villian would be traveling on a clean passport with an assumed identity. The less adept ones, hide out when their passport expires until they get caught. It's not uncommon to hear one of Pattaya's resident brainless criminals haveing been picked up with an out of date passport and found to be wanted back home, the more professional ones have things better planned and don't usually make the headlines. I personally think there's a huge number of active and former villians living in Thai beach resorts.

Archived