Airbus delivers first A380 superjumbo to Singapore Airlines

Mentors

Not negative, just realistic.

I've been on too many "regular" flights that have been stuck on the runway...for hours!

Same-same for baggage and count on longer lines at the Immi counters...IMO.

Positive side...if the plane is say 50% full, there will be plenty of room to stretch out and sleep :grin:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Singapore-Sydney has more than enough traffic to support the A380. I believe London is next, then the USA, probably SFO via HKG (the existing route). The Bradley terminal at LAX is 'ready' for the A380 with two gates, only two jetways per gate, and sorely inadequate departure lounge space, but if and when they fly to LAX it will most likely be via Tokyo.

Cavanami: Re room to stretch out, a half empty flight still only leaves two seats per passenger, no matter what the capacity, but I think I know what you mean. :confused:

saw the A380 finally when i left from Singapore Changi today...actually not very impressive from a outside...just like a obese B747! :neener:

When the first 747 came out, it was intended to be a double decker aircraft. As there were problems with runways, airport capacity etc, none were ever built. As air travel demands change, so will aircraft. This thing is pretty cool, got a quick look from the outside when it was here in SFO on a tour.

Tiger,

Am I to understand the "air hostess" will actually tuck me in? Could be worth a bit in terms of service and sales!

The complaints/concerns are the same for this airplane as they were for the 747 when it first came out. Airports, airlines and Customs all sorted it out as they needed. So too shall be the case for this airplane.

Have you visited TBIT at LAX? It can't handle the traffic now! It is one big CF. :doah:

The A380 is no cure for congested airports. It requires greater spacing between it and smaller aircraft. Plus you will need additional flights, like an A320, to get people to their final destination.

Agreed. *BUT* this was also the problem with the 747, and the industry/airports adapted. As for needing smaller planes to get from the big airports to the smaller/final destinations...that is more less the case now, people fly in on A340 or 747s and then change planes...

LAX is a cluster fuck for a whole host of reasons, aircraft size etc is the least of their problems. SFO will have problems as well, as the environmentalists and or interests are blocking expansion.

Customs and immigration will probably take 5 to 10 years to realize that the A380 holds more passengers, and to adjust accordingly, with manning requirements, as they are usually not known for being the greatest of thinkers.

Its too bad that airlines will not admit that economy class will be a perfectly miserable experience on the A380 if fully loaded, as it is currently with most 747's, and other aircraft.

The airlines are better at running their con game announcements of "more room" and "improved service" than actually providing it.

Archived