How to read Thai addresses (moo!)

wonderlust

What are the different numbers in a Thai street address supposed to signify? I know what a soi is (of course) but Moo is a new one on me as are the apparently random numbers at the start of an address. For example, if one wanted to make one's way to this address:

149/352-61, Moo 9, Sukhumvit Road

what does the "149/352-61, Moo 9" part mean?

Moo (หมู�) is short for 'moobaan' (หมู���า�), which means 'village' or 'hamlet'.

It means you are going for a Massage :neener:

Heaven Entertainment Complex if my memory serves me correct.

Hi,

"what does the "149/352-61, Moo 9" part mean?"

149/352-61 probably means house numbers 149/352 up to 149/361. It is fairly common for number to be of the format xx/yy. No idea why, but at a guess I'd say because they needed more numbers in between a series and didn't want to renumber all the other houses.

The 'Moo' is short for 'moo baan' ('village').

Sanuk!

pretty unusual address! you have to tell us where you get this!.

Sukhumvit which is running from Nana some 300+ km through several provinces to Trat has Soi's and numbers restart several times from zero! for example down in Samut Prakan you will find same Soi numbers which sound pretty familar for those who use to stay between Nana and Ekamai!

Moo (หมู�) is short for 'moobaan' (หมู���า�), which means 'village' or 'hamlet'.

It means you are going for a Massage :neener:

Heaven Entertainment Complex if my memory serves me correct.

Yes I found it thanks with my usual wondering around.

Hi,

"what does the "149/352-61, Moo 9" part mean?"

149/352-61 probably means house numbers 149/352 up to 149/361. It is fairly common for number to be of the format xx/yy. No idea why, but at a guess I'd say because they needed more numbers in between a series and didn't want to renumber all the other houses.

The 'Moo' is short for 'moo baan' ('village').

Sanuk!

So the Moo is not an essential part of the address - just there to help you find your way?

And house numbers would go something like 148/1, 148/2, 148/3, 149/1, 149/2 etc?

What's going on with this address:

33/59 Moo 7 Soi Petkasame 77/2 Petkasame Rd?

33/59 Moo 7 Soi Petkasame 77/2 Petkasame Rd?

33/59 -- Ok, 33 is the parcel number of the land. 59 is the building number on that piece of land.

Moo already explained.

Soi Petkasame 77/2 Petkasame Rd -- One of the "Petkasames" is redundant IMHO. It could (clunkily) read "Soi 77/2 Petkasame Rd", which would be the same as the more common "Soi Petkasame 77/2" or "Petkasame Soi 77/2"...which means the 77th side street (actually the 3rd 77th side street cuz they added more side streets after they were numbered) from the root of Petkasame Rd.

But it could also mean "Petkasame Soi 77 Yaek 2" which is the 2nd side street off the 77th side street from the root of Petkasame Rd.

Confused yet?

Cheers,

SD

Archived