Is Nana going .......

vinod

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suadum is right about zoning, but I think the earlier poster was confusing police districts with zoning. I think OH is exactly right (different police districts); I cannot think of anything else that would explain the differences.

Generally speaking, everything in Bangkok is much more relaxed than, say, a year ago. NEP isn't allowed to show now, but it wasn't showing a year ago. But in that same police district, just across Sukhumvit, closing times are much later, even in the nicer bars. 3 am seems to be the norm.

Overall, things do seem to be heading in the right direction, although Soi Cowboy is much further along than NEP, and we are seeing the consequences.

I gotta go with Bibblies on this one. I do not think the police have anything to do with it. I think that the bar owners have found that they do not have to show to get customers. Therefore, they do not need to pay off the coppers. Result - more money in their pocket.

Cheers,

SD

I gotta go with Bibblies on this one. I do not think the police have anything to do with it. I think that the bar owners have found that they do not have to show to get customers. Therefore, they do not need to pay off the coppers. Result - more money in their pocket.

Cheers,

SD

And, to save even more money, Rainbow don't even have to change their bikinis over 10 years.

I know I keep repeating this but, if a Rainbow mamasan tries to grab me and make me stay, I often point to the lack of showing as my reason not to. I'll usually only stay in a bar that's made an effort (with pasties, say). Perhaps if more people followed suit... :dunno:

Someone's going to pipe up "They don't care. They make their living from the tourists who don't know any better who'll come anyway."

From what I've seen (the massive crowd difference between the weekends and any normal day of the week), that simply isn't the case. :nono:

Up until the mid-nineties or so, Nana did have a bit of charm. There were no bar touts screaming at you as soon as you entered the place, there was a snooker hall, a few restaurants, a travel agent, and of course various gogo and non-gogo bars - a few on the first floor, most on the second. The music was decent rock and pop instead of moronic dance music and gangster rap. The girls were friendly and the whole atmosphere of the place was pleasant and relaxed.

Starting in the late nineties, it started its transformation into the current Boschian nightmare of today.

Has it lost its charm? Yes, about ten years ago, and it seems to get worse every year.

i full agree with you

Archived