Yet Another Risibly Facile Computer Query from Techno-Dunce Fiery Jack

Fiery Jack

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"My basic question is, would it make more sense for me to hook the lap top up to the La Cie and use it as my main computer i.e. would it be more powerful and quicker that the old G4 cube rig? Would there be any difference. The lap top has OSX 10.4.10 softwre installed with Office:mac 2004, the G4 cube has OSX 10.3.9, if that makes any difference."

Do it, but upgrade your 10.3.9 to 10.4.10 (10.4.11 is available now)

And more RAM as already suggested.

An apple store can do both for you.

Cheers

Coss

> You've lost me. How would I "add more memory" to my lap top? What do I have to buy and/or do?<

take it to an AppleMac shop and ask "can you add memory? How much?

They'll do it for you.

Thanks for all the help, lads. :beer:

Two questions:

1. But I'm going to hook my lap top up to the La Cie extrnal hard disk (300GB, I think). Isn't that the equivalent of "adding more memory"? No? I thought that's the reason I bought the bastarding La Cie toy in the first place? :clown:

My lap top has the 10.4.10 version, (it's the G4 cube that's stuck groaning on the lower heat). The new Leopard OS that's just come out is 10.5 isn't it? Any reason you didn't recommend that, mate? Should I get that and install it?

Cheers. I'd be sunk without your advice, fellers. :hug:

jack :help:

PS.

FJ:

The 10 year old "Cube" is best suited for a future life as a paper weight, or perhaps as the raw material for some sort of modern art project ... little else.

Yeah, I kind of suspected that would be the way of things. Nice one, mate. I laughed at that. :up:

Two different kinds of memory, mate. One is for storage of files (your external hard disk), and one is for the operation of programs (the RAM, or memory we have been discussing).

Cheers,

SD

Aaaaah! :hmmm: Yes, that makes sense, chief. I see. (Makes face akin to that of primitive African savage to whom simple conjouring trick has just been explained. :) )

Thanks. :applause:

jack :help:

• 3 weeks later...

My lap top has the 10.4.10 version, (it's the G4 cube that's stuck groaning on the lower heat). The new Leopard OS that's just come out is 10.5 isn't it? Any reason you didn't recommend that, mate? Should I get that and install it?

____

Well I would say that Tiger is pretty well sorted and would run well on the cube, but that Leopard is new and may be "too much engine" for the cube, JMHO

Cheers

Coss

Archived