Welcome to America, bitch!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 years ago the US was on the top of my list of places to visit.

Now I don't know what it would take to make me go there.

...and with all the political stuff I was bombarded with on my last trip to England by cabbies, etc. I wondered why I would return on a visit myself. Glad I wasn't a Brazilian in the tube station, I may not have made out of the country alive. :smirk: If it wasn't for the Arsenal and a friend of mine there, I may not have future plans to visit...

The incident seems way over the top on the face of it. Maybe there is more to it, maybe not. With the currency rate the way it is, plenty of UK and European folks are taking the chance. We'd love to have ya over for a visit, but I think we'll survive financially if you stay put. hehehe

As a last note, its always interesting the divergent views of not only Americans on the forum but also those that have never visited but retain a certain perspective with either no or very little first hand experience and those that have visited often or stayed a while.

Well Phil, with my Pakistani visas, I might be in for a rough time.

I think I'll wait until Ron Paul is elected president and the constitution is restored before visiting.

Fidel,

Ron Paul elcted President of what, Pakistan??

If you visit the US while Cheney/Bush are in charge you will need to bring suntan lotion...The sun can get pretty intense in Guantanamo!!

:elephant:

I know several Irish working in the U.S. without a /proper visa. Most are looking for a U.S. man/woman to marry in order to stay here permanently. I guess from your statement, you never have been to the U.S.? I would echo the statement about the U.K. made above.

Correct Dean, never been to the US. At one stage I was planning a road trip across the country, but instead I went in the opposite direction, towards Australia, and ended up living in Thailand.

I've been told that the US is great, regardless of your politics. I have a few cousins living in different parts and they keep inviting me over. Maybe if I was based in Ireland, from where the flights are cheap and the flying time quite short, I might visit.

I suppose the main reason I have no interest going out of my way to visit is my disdain for the war mongering political leadership over there.. though my observations of the most watched name in news, Fox (I'm Shepard Smith, and today we're going to be talking about the new cookie diet and listening to the 911 call on which you can hear Kanye West's mother die) News, and the fact that they keep electing idiots have sown some seeds of doubt about the people I'd meet if I visited.

Having said that, I have been spending some time with Americans over here and in Laos and Thailand, and they're all good people. Here in Pakistan they're very insular, they don't mix with the international community, bar one or two guys who are mates of mine. They need security clearance to go to a restaurant and they get clothes posted to them through the mail, and "comfort packages" with peanut butter and jelly etc.

Archived