Thanks You Idiot

bust

That was the past, but as demand increases, why should the price drop off?

There's always the possibility that demand will drop....recession in the US for instance. Not likely but could happen. That could cause a price drop..

I still think global politics has a big effect on the price.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the price was based on Speculation, and nothing more...?

Supply and demand set the price in the long term. However speculation can drive prices through the roof in the short term. We have recently seen the speculation bubble in the USA housing market pop. House prices have dropped even though the amount of land is finite.

That was the past' date=' but as demand increases, why should the price drop off?

[/quote']

High oil prices makes other energy sources economically and financially viable. It also makes investments in energy efficiency cost effective.

Thats true, but we're looking at a resource thats not renewable and will eventually run out, with this in mind, OPEC will try and hold/increase prices whilst bowing down to outside political pressure when necessary (albetit rarely).

The Saudi's, Russians and the like hold most of the trump cards...

Chuck, Hypothetically, even if the demand from the US reduced, will the price drop when there is such a dramatic increased demand from emerging countries.

Am I right in saying that its OPEC who control the prices ?

Chuck, Hypothetically, even if the demand from the US reduced, will the price drop when there is such a dramatic increased demand from emerging countries.

If the US goes into recession China and India will get hurt too. But I don't think the demand will drop much.

OPEC can control how much they pump so I guess they have some control over prices. But if world demand drops they sell less oil.

OPEC can control how much they pump so I guess they have some control over prices. But if world demand drops they sell less oil.

If demand drops they will also cut back on production to try to maintain the price already being paid. If you have a finite resource, it's better to sell 1000 barrels at $100, than 2000 barrels at $50. You may think the present price is too high but if I was a betting man, I would bet it's nearer to $125 than $100 by this time next year.

That was the past' date=' but as demand increases, why should the price drop off?

[/quote']

High oil prices makes other energy sources economically and financially viable. It also makes investments in energy efficiency cost effective.

Thats true, but we're looking at a resource thats not renewable and will eventually run out, with this in mind, OPEC will try and hold/increase prices whilst bowing down to outside political pressure when necessary (albetit rarely).

The Saudi's, Russians and the like hold most of the trump cards...

Isn't a lot of the world, as in Europe, India, China etc leaning towards more nuclear as a means of reducing their need for oil? seems I recall reading that somewhere. Hence, who really holds the trump cards is/are the countries who don't need as much oil in the future...it seems a lot of the world economy is based on that very need.

As a famous politician once said "recession is a state of mind" :hmmm:

Yeah' date=' yeah, that's one of those clever things rich people say. Tell it to the guy who's lost his job and his house and family.

[/quote']

Not said by a rich person at all in fact a union official. The rich fall much harder in recessions don't worry.

Archived