Anyone Else Want To Try and Lose Some Weight?

The_Munchmaster

L It's staying there that's tough. I go off my diet and quickly put on about 8 to 10 kilos. :(

That's why I am planning to go slow. I did two crashi diets in the last ten years, each for circa 2-3 months. Both times I stopped eating healthy and going to Gym after I reached my weight loss goal.

This time I am looking at a time frame of eight months and I hope that then training will have become a part of my life and that I don't fall back in bad habits afterwards...

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

thanks sd, btw the winning time i heard was 32 minutes!....the older guys, some in their 50's plus were inspiring, totally destroying me at 37 :(

for the first time i tested my running ability against others at a fell race in the peak district last week. 4.5 miles of steep, very steep moors and rocks with steep declines (almost as hard as climbing!!), lovely scenery but hellish to run. usually around here on the flat i can run 4.5 in 30.20, this race took 44.42 against many northern club runners from manchester and sheffield etc, i came in 76 out of 170, i was happy with this, next time i will hope to be faster

4.5 miles in 30.20 is awesome, LP!!

Cudos to you!! Great that you've been able to keep motivated for so long and haven't lost interest along the way.

What's your secret to staying motivated?

Guest lazyphil

its hard to say what keeps me motivated, the most important thing is i enjoy working out, if it became a chore i'd stop i imagine.....the way i feel i cant see that happening anytime soon....

are there really good and bad foods ?

or is it really calories you consume vs calories you work off ?

There are so many diets , many saying the exact opposite ,

I could do to lose at least 10kg but do not have a plan , I guess the first thing is what I buy at the store , If I buy it I will eat it !

So what do you cut out and what do you replace it with ?

Walking around hungry all day is not going to work for me :)

thanks for your ideas

Dave

are there really good and bad foods ?

or is it really calories you consume vs calories you work off ?

There are so many diets , many saying the exact opposite ,

I could do to lose at least 10kg but do not have a plan , I guess the first thing is what I buy at the store , If I buy it I will eat it !

So what do you cut out and what do you replace it with ?

Walking around hungry all day is not going to work for me :)

thanks for your ideas

Dave

The answer is quite simple, but in the beginning not easy to follow, since you will have to change your eating habits *completely* and you will have to spend some time in the kitchen every day.

A slight calorie deficit - like 400 calories - combined with weight training and cardio.

NO processed (industry) foods, no fried foods, no junk food, no soda's, no sweets, no alcohol - and no protein bars, most are junk as well!

Nutrition mix like 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein

from (these numbers can be tweaked like for example 50/30/20, if you do serious weight training):

PROTEINS

lean meat (chicken, turkey), lean fish (tuna), cottage cheese, curd, egg whites

CARBS:

from whole grain (whole grain bread, whole grain pasta) and brown rice. Steel crushed oatmeal is probably the best carb. Skim milk and oatmeal is a great combination.

FAT

olive oil extra vergine, flax seed oil

Also a lot of veggies with at least to meals, this will fill the stomach! Also fruits as a snack, if you are one the road or busy.

A combination of cardio (preferably HIIT, high intensity interval training) and weight training.

I you leave out the weight training you will lose fat AND muscles! By losing muscles your daily average calorie intake will go down and you will gain weight much faster after your diet than before.

I( think I am with LAX because you simply have to look at traditional foods of say, the Japanese and French. The Japanese eat a lot of carbs, drink to excess, and yet are slim. The French eat high calorie, rich and creamy meals, love their wine, and are also historically slender. neither group has been known to be physical fitness buffs.

Not saying moderation in all things is a bad policy, but there is more than a little genetics to it.

Cheers,

SD

I( think I am with LAX because you simply have to look at traditional foods of say, the Japanese and French. The Japanese eat a lot of carbs, drink to excess, and yet are slim. The French eat high calorie, rich and creamy meals, love their wine, and are also historically slender. neither group has been known to be physical fitness buffs.

Not saying moderation in all things is a bad policy, but there is more than a little genetics to it.

Cheers,

SD

One simple answer is that the portion size in Japan is at least one third smaller than in the US. If you empty a plate in a US restaurant you usually have consumed probably 50% of your daily calories needed.

Archived