Hillary may unite Republicans

Flashermac

Concerns among Democrats about how Clinton might energize Republicans have been voiced in states with large numbers of rural, conservative voters like Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and others in the Midwest and South.

"She gets really high negatives among conservatives and the fundamentalist crowd," said Rice University political science professor Paul Brace. "In some states that is going to mobilize them so much so that they may overlook shortcomings of a Republican candidate."

Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri, who has endorsed Obama, is one who has said a Clinton nomination would hurt Democrats. Others in the party agree.

"It is not fair," said Missouri State Auditor Susan Montee. "But the fact is ... she is actually a lightning rod. She will bring people out to vote against her."

Wednesday's decision by former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards to pull out of the Democratic race intensified such talk because Edwards was popular with many rural Midwestern voters, who now must choose between Clinton and Obama.

"She's been polarizing and divisive for a long time, before Obama was even in the campaign," said Ken Warren, a pollster and St. Louis University political science professor.

Missouri Republican State Committee member Donna Spickert said simply: "She would mobilize the Republican Party."

Link

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her main obstacle is she's a woman.

She's nearly got to the top of the heap which would automatically give her the party votes in the UK or Australia where the greatest obstacle is getting through the "old boy's club".

But if she gets to be the Democrat candidate her greatest obstacle would be the Democrat voters.

Sometimes I believe that the best way is the Westminster system where the strongest party elects their own leader, and therefore the countries, and retains the right to dismiss him if he gets out of hand.

Remember that the US Constitution was designed back in the days when the king could still appoint and dismiss his own ministers. If something like the modern parliamentary system had been in existence, the US system might have become very different. Also, the USA in the late 18th century was a much smaller country with a population of only a few million.

I would say Ms Hill's main problem is that she has got where she is today largely because she is Mrs Bill. No way on earth she'd be senator from New York otherwise. Thus, it's hard for her to be seen as anything more than Mrs Bill.

She got name recognition from being the first lady but the people of New York have to be blamed for her being a Senator. She was elected fairly. I also don't think its that she's a woman. It has some bearing but Elizabeth Dole, Bob Dole's wife was very likable but just ran up against better candidates. Condi Rice is a fave amongst the far right and if the Iraq war had not happened, she may have been put up a good race. If Maddie Albright wasn't born outside the U.S. she could have been in congress at a minimum after her stint as Secretary of State. The normally conservative state of Missouri had a woman Senator as well I think. Hillary is polarizing though and I think it was already well known she'd fire up the Republicans who see her as evil incarnate. I think they hate her more than Bill. She would definitely bring out record numbers of Republicans. There is a gender bias but its by women. Older women don't vote for women candidates generally because they are 'traditional' and grew up in an era where men were considered best for public office. Hillary does well amongst women, but its younger women and feminists. The majority of registered voters are women. If they wanted to elect Hillary they could no matter what men thought. Her being a woman is not a problem if women were to support her in overwhelming numbers.

Fair election? er maybe, but look at how Americans vote: some idiot pro wrestler runs, he wins amidst all the jokes, as did Arnie, and a few others...basically, people voted because they were a known entity, NOT because they really cared about their stance on Issues, same same Hillary.

I am just hoping I/we don't have to choose between her and Maccain...as I really don't want another republican in office, but I don't think Hillary can win. And frankly, I don't want her.

Which package though? Maybe he'll run with Nader. Have an Arab-Jewish ticket for a change.

:hmmm:

p.s. Helps that Ms Hill decided to run for the senate in a state where the Dems have a 3 to 2 advantage, plus no one was even allowed to challenge her for the nomination. Can you say "safe seat"?

I think Rudy would have won had he stayed in the race. If I'm not mistaken he was ahead in the polls.

She did the same thing Robert Kennedy did in NY.

Still, name recognition, Democratic state and party machinery, the people could have voted for the other person. Its not like there haven't been Republican senators out of New York state. D'Amato comes to mind and they have a history of electing Repbublican governors, Rockerfeller, Pataki.

Archived