Time to choose

drogon

Greetings

Tomorrow I am going to sign a new contract with another comapny here in Spain.

The job is mainly based in Madrid but it will involve a bit of travelling, unfortunately only in the western countries......

I accepted this job because the pay is better and the role is more challenging.

Problem is: I just received an offer from an international school in BKK.....

The job is quite well-paid (at least for a teaching job in LOS as there are not a lot of teaching position above the 120K mark).

My problem is the following:

- With the actual recession in the US and the Asian economies following the trend (plus the new Thai government) I am afraid that if I accept a job in LOS the baht will loose to luch strength...

- Better to stick to a good job in Europe then try to find a position in Asia in the future or to go back to the place I love.....

I mean, I far prefer Asia (and not for the P4P), after 6 months in Europe I am already sick of it, my problem is what do I decide...at 31 years old do I sign for a teaching position and try to stick to it or do I stick to my far better paying job waiting patiently to find a position in Asia with the risk that my contract is not renewed after a few years and that this is a complete career change.

To sum it up, my heart tells me to go to Asia but my brain (or at least what is left of it) tells me to stick to my new job.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with Faustian on this (twice in 2008 and it only Feb)

Make the most of your potential income by following your chosen career, don't sacrifice your career in order to fuel todays desires, life is a marathon not a sprint. Eventually opportunities will arise.

....To sum it up, my heart tells me to go to Asia but my brain (or at least what is left of it) tells me to stick to my new job.

I don't know how old you are but your age is important.

If you're young you can afford to go where your heart is for less money because you can make it up later but if you are middle aged then you need to maximise your earning potential in your remaining working years.

I would love to move back to work in Thailand (and I could) rather than stay in Dubai but it just doesn't make economic sense for me to do so.

Bottom line, stick to your new job. :thumbup:

Archived