Time to choose

drogon

I am 31 years old.......Staying in my new job would be financially sound just that I am missing Thailand a lot and not for P4P but rather because of the Thai food, the Thai people who are far more nice, friendly and honnest than people here, the fact the temperature is not -2 celsius at the moment, I can go eat a decent pizza for 400 Bht rather than a piece of crap at 700Bht, the taxis etc.....So many reasons

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drogon.

At the end of the day its your choice, but as I and other posters have mentioned it is far better to maximise your current potential now whilst you can rather than look back in 30 years time and wish you had of done.

I came to Asia back in 1988 when I was 24, working in Korea and taking R'n'R in Thailand, in 1991 I got a job here that lasted just over 3 years and when it finished I had to make the choice, move on and keep earning or look for an alternative career. back then I was married (the the ex) and had a home in Thailand but I decided to pursue may career, I would have been about your age then.

Over the years I have worked in the shiteholes of this world, Most of the Middle East, the "Stans" and even the USA, but always on the proviso that it was contract work and I got regular R'n'R with paid flights back to Thailand, I have also had a couple of jobs here during that time in my chosen proffession and at an expected salary.

Fast forward to 2008. For the past 2 1/2 years I have been employed by a Multinational Engineering company in Thailand, still in the same line of work I started out in all those years ago and my renumeration is slightly higher than I would be paid if I was working for the same company in the UK, overseas uplift.

I look back now on the times I was staring at the walls of a room in say Saudi or Oman 3 weeks into a 14 week trip debating whether or not to jack it in and return to Thailand, and I am so glad now that I did stick it out until the opportunity of my current position became available.

I would not consider myself as rich by any means, but I am comfortable, I look at it as the payback for being in the places I didn't want to be when I was in my thirties and the sacrifices I made and the conditions I put up with in order to live my dream life.

My chosen path may not be to everybodies liking, but it did me well, in 2020 you will be my age, I am approaching 44 now but I still enjoy lifes pleasures as much as I did when I was 21, probably more so now due to the fact I have some financial independance.

Just Remember

Thanks a lot Mekong for telling me about your experience.

I went to sign my new contract in Spain.

Guess I should be (in my field) able to move to Singapore or even Thailand in 3 or 4 years maximum.

(by then I will have around 5-6 years of experience in my current field)

Again, many thanks Mekong, seems that your career path might be mine too.

Drogon,

You are welcome, I know only too well how tempting it is to say "Bollox to It" and run head first into a situation without taking into consideration the overall.

Stick at it and one day eventualy you will be back here on your terms and conditions and with a certain amount of indipendance.

Most of my expat associates in Thailand followed the same path, some are board members (see CTO's Post) but the majority aren't, Good Luck and when you eventualy make it here we will go for Sunday Brunch at the Marriot resort rather than a bite to eat at tok la dee in foodland soi 5, see you in 2012!

....just that I am missing Thailand a lot and not for P4P but rather because of thethe Thai people who are far more nice, friendly and honnest than people here

Where are you staying now? In Nigeria?

Where did you stay in Thailand? I would like to see where the honest Thais live. Thais are probably some of the friendliest people, but honest? Not really...

Paillote

Paillote: I am staying in Spain and I must say that Thais people are far more honest in their dealings with me than the Spanish.....

(both in business or in private dealings.....)

Of course Thai people especially around tourist areas or in the nightlife areas are for most of them not really honest but what do you expect?

In 2 years living and working there and a few more years travelling there, Thais have tried to cheat me 5 or 6 times (I am speaking about cases not linked to nightlife of course) and these were:

- once the police asking for a bit too much (but I was guilty of garbage dumping), read 1K baht.

- twice some taxis drivers

etc....

I never have been cheated by my landlord, my girlfriend although a BG never tried to cheat me nor her family and so on.......

I have no explanation, maybe this is due to my Asian features and the fact that having lived in Africa for so long I am not cheated so easily.

The biggest scam I ever faced in Thailand was from an expat......

BB: I stopped thinking with my willy only, just that the food, the weather, the people in Thailand are far more better than here in damn rainy, cold Europe and especially Spain.

Archived