1 in Every 100 Adult American Is In Jail

Steve

Shit, aren't we suppose to have Freedom of speech and thre Freedom of assembly?

The U.S. Constitution does not preserve the right of Americans to stand in the middle of any street at any time they choose. You know this and yet you pretend not to. That is dishonest.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right. Squirm out of it then. That's a poor show.

It is not off topic when we are discussing the US State's record of locking up its citizens in large numbers.

You said that Americans would never round up other Americans... but they have, as I have shown.

The US is being plagued by a severe and creeping authoritarianism.

<< an exception that proves the rule >>

That saying has never made a lot of sense to me.

The expression makes perfect sense to sane people. Here's how it works: Person A makes a general statement about a situation. Person B comes up with an exception to the general rule' date=' an exception that everyone agrees is exceptional and not at all typical. Therefore the exception proves the rule because it is so exceptional.

Examine the present case, the internment of the Japanese during WWII. This happened over 60 years ago and is a complete one-off, an event unlike any other. Therefore this proves that generally speaking Americans do not do such things.

See how easy that is? Of course it helps to be sane, intelligent, and not a leftist but really anyone can play.[/quote']

I seem to recall the issue of locking up "Certain" people of Arab decent/Muslim affiliation in the USA, being discussed during the first Gulf war. The discussion was quickly halted, but depending on who you listen to, some people have been "detained" and questioned, no mass lock up however...yet anyway.

I seem to recall the issue of locking up "Certain" people of Arab decent/Muslim affiliation in the USA, being discussed during the first Gulf war. The discussion was quickly halted, but depending on who you listen to, some people have been "detained" and questioned, no mass lock up however...yet anyway.

I never heard such a disussion but of course no one peson hears everything. As you say this discussion went nowhere so that is as it should be. Some people say all sorts of crazy anti-American things. A person doesn't need to live in the Bay Area to know that (but it helps). And yes, some people have been "detained". See the other thread about the size of the American prison population for more details on that.

Question of Interest: Why does the USA still have reservations?

Restaurants sometimes require them.

Actually, the indians can live amongst the general population if they want to. They are included in affirmative action for minorities as well. The indian lands are semi autonomous. In a way almost like a nation within a nation. They run it themselves, usually by tribal council.

The lands were given to them by treaty decades ago. Most of the tribes were nomadic, following herds, etc.

Archived