1 in Every 100 Adult American Is In Jail

Steve

Non-violent offenders get thrown in the slammers these days. Got to keep those cells filled somehow.

No money to be made in probation ...

When I was about 16 maybe, my foster brother and I were sitting in Alamo Sq. Smoking a joint, the cops walked up, told us "...you'd better put that out and go home..." We said "...O.k." made the gesture, and walked the other way. Now, they'd shoot us, and or lock us up for life...fucking drug laws are bullshit.

You may remember my rant about the kid who got caught in school with a cigar? can't imagine the federal case they'd make if he had a joint or something...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It gets better:

HUMAN rights organizations, as well as political and social ones, are condemning what they are calling a new form of inhumane exploitation in the United States, where they say a prison population of up to 2 million â?? mostly Black and Hispanic â?? are working for various industries for a pittance. For the tycoons who have invested in the prison industry, it has been like finding a pot of gold. They donâ??t have to worry about strikes or paying unemployment insurance, vacations or comp time. All of their workers are full-time, and never arrive late or are absent because of family problems; moreover, if they donâ??t like the pay of 25 cents an hour and refuse to work, they are locked up in isolation cells.

There are approximately 2 million inmates in state, federal and private prisons throughout the country. According to California Prison Focus, "no other society in human history has imprisoned so many of its own citizens." The figures show that the United States has locked up more people than any other country: a half million more than China, which has a population five times greater than the U.S. Statistics reveal that the United States holds 25% of the worldâ??s prison population, but only 5%of the worldâ??s people. From less than 300,000 inmates in 1972, the jail population grew to 2 million by the year 2000. In 1990 it was one million. Ten years ago there were only five private prisons in the country, with a population of 2,000 inmates; now, there are 100, with 62,000 inmates. It is expected that by the coming decade, the number will hit 360,000, according to reports.

Full Story

For the first time in U.S. history, more than one of every 100 adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report documenting Americaâ??s rank as the worldâ??s No. 1 incarcerator. It urges states to curtail corrections spending by placing fewer low-risk offenders behind bars.

Using state-by-state data, the report says 2,319,258 Americans were in jail or prison at the start of 2008 â?? one out of every 99.1 adults. Whether per capita or in raw numbers, itâ??s more than any other nation...

Since the US population is over 300 million, those stats are off somewhat. Also I would add, that not all of those in prison are American.

Vaya con dios.

Since the US population is over 300 million, those stats are off somewhat. Also I would add, that not all of those in prison are American.

Vaya con dios.

There are 300 million men, women and children. The stats say 'adults males' so we must weed out all the women and girls (half the population at least), men under 18.

The number of guys in jail for non violent, drug related offenses is astonishing.

Building and running jails is now a huge multi billion dollar industry.

Some jails are so crammed, there have been court orders to either release some inmates or make more room as there were several men staying in a small cell that was made for 1 or two people at most.

The vast majority of americans could careless and think that anything that happens in prison is just deserves. However, there is typically differences in sentencing, usually based on economics. I recall spending my senior year in the suburbs and whenever one of those kids out there were caught with pot or their parents prescription drugs, etc. thier parents always told the cops or the school that it would ruin that child's chances to go to college or prospects in life. I recall one kid showing off his dad's gun at school. Nothing happened when he was caught. He was a 'good' student, in my chem class when I saw it and it was swept under the rug.

But if any of the guys from area had a gun, it was a felony. No way around it.

My other concern is what happens in prison. I have said and will continue to say that if it happened in some other nation it would be seen as a human rights issue.

I'm all for punishing someone violating a crime. I'm not advocating no punishment but the punishment and the crime are 180 degrees in a lot of cases.

I would even go as far as to say its 'cruel and unusual' punishment to knowingly subject someone with a non violent offense to some of the depravity that EVERYONE knows will happen to that person. I've seen too many guys come back from a stint and facing the horrors there forever changed. They may have been unfortunate enough to be in a stolen car, sometimes unknowingly, pot smoker caught with over the legal limit, suspended license that has gone to warrant, etc. By all means face a punishment but if being brutalized and raped is just for that kind of offense, then we definitely are a nation that has no soul.

If my son had such an offense and was facing that I'd spirit him away to Canada or Europe to live. I couldn't knowingly stand by and I am 100% certain those on here who are 'tough' on crime wouldn't let their son face that if the offense was minor or frivolous as well.

Remember recently the video of the disabled, paralyzed young man in a wheelchair? The fat ass woman cop ordered him to get up. He didn't because he couldn't. She dumped him. Prisons are one of the very few places the American Disability Act is rarely enforced.

See video of paralyzed man being dumped out of his wheelchair by female cop

Any accusation of the violation of the law or rules can have time added to you and its done arbitrarily by the warden or prison official's discretion.

If you are defending yourself and you end up winning and the guy is in hospital, you could have time added to your sentence. No jury of your peers, no rules of evidence, etc. Its whatever the prison officials deem it is.

The lifers don't care and take pleasure in adding time to those 'short timers' who they envy.

The whole system is needs a complete overhaul. Seeing out your time peacefully is pretty much impossible a lot of the time.

Archived