Supreme Court considers 'right to bear arms'

Steve

CS, I do take your point but correct me if I'm wrong, the vast majority of legislation restricting ownership of firearms in the U.S. concerns handguns? And not rifles and shotguns? If I was going to be part of a rising up against a repressive regime I think I'd rather have a rifle than a handgun?

Simie.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right about the handguns portion of it (although there has been legislation against AK47s and similar guns as well).

Harder to mug someone with a concealed shotgun. :nahnah:

Those laws against handguns are almost exclusively in large urban centers (DC, NYC)

I have lived and worked over there didn't like it and left.

Mekong' date=' just out of curiosity, what about the U.S. didn't you like? Not offended in the least, just curious. I love the country dearly but if I had the money I'd probably live out my days elsewhere. Its just a benign question, no other inference should be made of it than a curiosity pursuit of mine.[/quote']

Steve,

I may give the US a bit of Injustice, I was working / living in Houston TX which is not a true representation on the States on a whole (Houton TX rather Like Calgary and the Middle East is one of the places that is good to have on the Resume working in Oil and Gas). At the time I already had my home in BKK and was working 3 months in Houston then 1 month R'n'R back in Thailand. Having been working there for over a year on this rotation I was offered the opportunity of permanent work and to relocate to the States, I politely declined the offer and went elsewhere.

On the positive side, whilst out on a road trip in Seattle WA State I met a Thai chick on a Greygound bus who was studying over there, we got talking and stayed in touch with each other, 8 years on we have seen each other in Thailand and that chick is now my wife, funny old world isn't it.

[On the positive side, whilst out on a road trip in Seattle WA State I met a Thai chick on a Greygound bus who was studying over there, we got talking and stayed in touch with each other, 8 years on we have seen each other in Thailand and that chick is now my wife, funny old world isn't it.

I wondered at the time I met your wife how she came to be so conversent in English and her ability to understand idioms, innuendo, lack of heavy accent, etc. Now I know !

You got a winner.

HH

One thing that you discovered about the U.S. is that its so big and varied by region. NYC, Houston, Seattle, its almost like a few different countries in one.

Countries with large populations and are huge geographically are like that (China, Russia, India, Brazil).

But if you hated the place I wouldn't have been offended in the least. Haven't been to Houston ages. The city is larger than people would imagine.

Steve,

I did not "Hate" the States as such, at the time I was working there I did have a home base in Thailand and the choise was relocate to USA and get a Green Card or keep my Status in Thailand, I chose the later.

I am not sure if I made the right decision but I am happy with my life now, as Hugh Hoy stated, a guy I have only met once at a Friday meeting with my Mrs, I landed a winner, and as such I am very contented with what I have now. I would like to think that I am very good at my chosen proffesion but I will admit that through my wife and her contacts I got my current position, I am one of the luckiest son's of a bitch on this planet and I know it.

Life offers many opportunities along the way and I chose this direction, right wrong or indifferent I don't really care, I made my bed and I sleep in in it and I am very comfortable in my sleep

I'm so delighted to hear that the UK no longer has any shootings' date=' now that most firearms are banned.

[/quote']

In 2006/2007 the US had 28000 fire-arm related homicides. The UK had 59. The evidence is clear, gun control saves lives. The argument that people need guns to protect themselves from crazies is totally fallacious. It is the people with guns who are the crazies.

Your right, it is based on history. Gun ownership is not there to protect Ameriacns from Crazies.....It's there to protect Americans from the British!! :susel:

The Supreme Court heard arguments Tuesday in a landmark legal battle over gun rights, taking up for the first time in decades whether Americans have the right to keep and bear arms.

Arm bears? Sure, why not? If the hunters can shoot at them, why can't the bears defend themselves?

Oh, bear arms.

Nevermind!

Cheers,

SD

Archived