USA sniper uses Quran 'for target practice'

Bangkoktraveler

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense intended, just asking.

Cheers,

SD

None taken at all. My point is that it is a very slippery slope when saying "as bad as" or "on the level of." So when people do I like to know exactly where they (think) they are coming from point wise.

For one it is just not true. The level of the TB is horrific. In the OP, the level of the Talaban would be, "He shot it, we give a shit, and I have every right to kill you for even asking." and not what happened. (Which so far is sent back home and likely his military career over. If he does not get flat out charged too, which is what I would do also.)

As I have stated, I myself hold us up to the highest levels. But I get irritated when people begin to compare us across the board to the talaban or the Nazis or just about anyone else.

Think about it.... If the US really sank "to that level," next to no one would be alive in the middle east and many of those here that would bitch about it would be dead.

Sure the muslims are total dog shite' date=' but why be like them, when you are supposed to be better than them??

[/quote']

Do you mean all muslims Faustian? that's a bit strong, not to mention racist :shakehead

Sorry Teddy, didn't know you were the sensitive type...

I was of course referring to 'some' muslims. Not all. Heaven forbid I'd condemn an entire religion (Btw, it's not racist...Islam is a faith).

Guest lazyphil

<>

america sunk the moment *euro* settlers landed at plymouth rock. slavery, indian wars/land thefts, chinese/japanese internment camps in the owens valley in the high sierra during ww2.....later on democrat lead vietnam war. a few scummy bastads in gitmo pale compared to some of americas past actions.

america isn't perfect but better the devil you know than the one you dont. i.e the chinese, russians, indians etc :stirthepo:soapbox:

Gotta agree with SD about holding ourselves to a higher standard. Its our own government that elected to go overseas and preach the gospel as it were about American freedom, democracy and lauding it as the blueprint for all peoples.

If you're gonna do that, then you gotta walk the walk.

I personally don't like it and I don't go to other countries and tell them that they need to do what I do. I don't do that to people I know or meet as I'm imperpect, very much so, and so I am slow to preach.

That said, in of itself the sniper didn't do much but in the whole context of where he was (Iraq) it had serious repurcussions. If he was in his back yard in Idaho somewhere where no one was the wiser, no harm, no foul. However, his bad judgement could have caused lives to be lost. Mainly western or American lives and in that context the apology was warranted.

I'm agreeing that if (and its probable) some Iraqis would have taken it upon themselves to kill some Americans over the issue is way over the top and wrong. But knowing that someone will do that over some thing like that it shows bad judgment to give them a reason.

Part of being a responsible soldier is showing good judgement. This isn't the sort of thing the average soldier would do and think there is nothing to it.

Finally, we elected to go in there. We weren't invited. In doing that we have to accept the culture for what it is and deal with it accordingly.

Archived