Air fare doubles?

cavanami

HH

Amazing how EVA had a crappy FF program, and they keep making it worse with increases in mileage redemption and decreases in mileage accrual.

When I fly United, I figure that my miles are worth about $.02 each (if I use for biz or first class free int'l tix), and at my FF level, I get double miles plus 25% bonus in biz. So each trip I get about 40K miles, which is worth about $800. The same flight on EVA, I figure the miles are worth about $.01, and in biz I get 20K miles, or only $200 in value. My corporate rates for UA are cheaper than EVA's, so it is worth it to me to fly UA, despite the sometimes crappy service.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Asian FF programs. Ya, I hear ya. But, look at it as a biz decision. 99% of their customers are long haul, meaning it is not real hard to get 30,000 miles a year. As opposed to domestic US carriers, where it *is* hard.

In their defense, I'll say that I have NEVER been knocked back from getting a free flight or upgrade on TG, or SQ, or CX, where I find it pretty much impossible to use the remaining miles (since 1999!) in my NWA account.

That is, Asian carriers do not have restrictions on freebies. Whereas US carriers have a limit of 2-3 free seats on a flight in each class, and you're battling 50k flyers to get it.

Six of one, half-dozen of another...ain't nothing "free."

Cheers,

SD -- prefers the Asian carriers, but also flys 250k miles a year...

Increases in airfares and surcharges aren't the only way the airlines are sticking it to the traveller. Some have already increased the number of frequent flyer miles to get a "free" ticket or an up-grade. I'm pissed at EVA right now, having had them up the number of miles for an upgrade from 30,000 to 35,000 miles. (Naturally, I've only got 30,500 "in the bank" :banghead: )

HH

Yep, AA is going from 90,000 to 100,000 on a C class award from NA to Asia 1, effective 10/1/08. :(

I've had no problems using my UA miles on TG, SQ, or NH. Also have used lotsa AA miles on CX. Best of both worlds IMHO.

Asian * Alliance carriers are definitely much more liberal with their awards than US carriers. What sucks is that UAL blocks available * Alliance awards from their customers. You used to be able to call and ask the agent to perform a manual booking for these awards but UAL has started taking disciplinary action agents who do this, so no one will go out on a limb anymore :( :thumbdown: :onfire:

Example..you can go on ANA and use their award search tool for *Alliance flights, only to call UAL and be told they are not available. Seems UAL wants to get you to:

A. Use more miles for Standard Awards

B. Fly UAL metal in a lower class which is usually available.

That being said, I've always found awards in my desired class give or take a few days of my desired travel dates. In some cases it may require booking a leg in Economy and praying that something opens up before the first flight but so far, I've always gotten the upgrade.

SD -- prefers the Asian carriers, but also flys 250k miles a year...

Again, I agree. I would really like to continue to fly CX, but their prices for J class from the west coast have just gotten out of line, which is why I am back to flying BR. I feel your pain; I fly 160K miles a year and would like to cut back (flights to BKK excluded of course).

• 2 weeks later...
[Asiana which is a Star Alliance carrier has the best fares from ORD ($1000) that I've seen recently, with very limited availability starting in Aug and available throughout March of next year. I was able to find that fare for my dates in Feb but I haven't committed due to the long layover (12 hrs) in Seoul.

If Asiana (or Korean)is a good option otherwise, check into the transit hotel inside the Seoul/Inchon airport for six hours or so. You will feel something close to human when you get to BKK.

Just read a few western newspapers.

Air fares could as well double within the next year,

some airlines executives even predict that airlines could loose 30-40% of their current passengers.

Maybe renting a bike to go to LOS might become an option?

Archived