New York to back same-sex unions from elsewhere

Bangkoktraveler

In the initial court decision in CA:

"We conclude California's historical definition of marriage does not deprive individuals of a vested fundamental right or discriminate against a suspect class,"the court said in a 2-1 decision."The time may come when California chooses to expand the definition of marriage to encompass same-sex unions. That change must come from democratic processes, however, not by judicial fiat."

The justices, in their 128-page opinion, noted that California's ban on same-sex marriage does not discriminate against gays and lesbians because of the state's strong domestic partner law, which gives registered couples most of the same rights as married spouses in California."

What the exceptions are (as noted in the opinion) I do not know. There may be good reason for those exceptions. :dunno: I've never been very concerned about that. Civil unions, ok. "Marriage", :nono:

I guess there is an upside to what I hope is only a temporary situation here in CA. Seems like florists, wedding venues/planners, wedding photogs and bakeries are getting some needed new biz. :smirk:

HH

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gay marriage ban qualifies for California ballot

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) â?? California's Secretary of State says an initiative that would again outlaw gay marriage in the state has qualified for the November ballot.

Debra Bowen says a random check of signatures submitted by the measure's sponsors showed that they had gathered enough for it to be put to voters.

The measure would amend the state constitution to define marriage as a union "between a man and a woman."

It would overturn the recent California Supreme Court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage in the state if it is approved by a majority of voters on Nov. 4.

California public health officials already have amended marriage license applications and told local officials to start issuing them to same-sex couples on June 17.

-------------------------------

What this article fails to make clear is that the current ballot measure is a proposed Amendment to the California State Constitution. Thus, if it passes, it will not merely "again outlaw gay marriage" but rather will render such marriage unconstitutional, taking away the ability of the State Supreme Court to again override the will of the people.

I predict this measure will pass in November 53-47.

HH - What's mainstream? Gays make up 10% - break down the other 90% and it becomes lot's of other 10%'s or less.

Do they have the same right to marriage as Mormons?

What's the percent of Mormons in CA?

Ok - "lifestyle Choice" not religion you say

OK - Nudist's can marry - love the photo's - that's a lifestyle choice - why can't Gay's?

Ahh - it's NOT a lifestyle choice but something their born with.

OK - Deaf people are born "Different" - why can't Gays?

OK -Let's get to Nuts and Bolts - Screws - It's about SEX isn't it!

It's NOT about their lifestyle choice - it's NOT about their politics (coz then we'd loose the smarter Republican's it's about you being threatened by their SEX life.

Well - don't worry - Vote to allow Gay Marriages coz once married they'll be faithful to their spouse and stop hitting on you!

Lets face it CTO ... there are a lot of racist truds out there, plain and simple (yes RY, I am pointing at YOU).

Honestly, how gives a rats arse who sleeps with who as long as:

1) they are happy

2) they are not hitting on you

RY, here's looking forward to you eating a massive dose of humble pie when this fails to pass in November. Perhaps you will move to someplace more to your liking ... say Afghanistan, or Utah.

....Must be a Bull Dyke....

....judging by size... :grinyes::neener::neener::grinyes:

....Paleeeeezzzzz don't try and tell us you're a dainty little Dee

:rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

Oh ya, mate. I like to lick the pussy.

Especially since I haven't one to get licked LOL. (And that's nto the way it works in the land of tom & dee in LoS anyway).

:rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

Cheers,

SD -- has a wallet on a chain somewhere around here...

Archived