Why even bother marrying your girlfriend, seriously!

panadolsandwich

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It depends upon the relationship, doesn't it? Surely if you live with a girl 3 yrs or so you have to take care of her and her family if required anyway. And its between you and your girl what level.

That, you have to face anyway. yes, additional financial stress will probably come if you live in Thailand as access is more free to the moneybag for all the family and a lot of hassle.

This concept makes me laugh all the time, do you not realise that not all Thais are from poor backgrounds who's families have not got a pot to piss in, there actualy is a Middle Class and Upper Class as well but I suppose a lot of people are not exposed that that part of society or or not even interested in it.

From what I see, there is zero benefit for a farang to marry a Thai lady and live in Thailand. I see only hassles (visa crap, like have to renew every year, etc).

Mate, you keep saying that but I still do not get it. What does marriage have to do with visas? You can be married and still do the 30 stamp thing if you so choose. It makes no difference. Marriage actually opens up a visa option for you. It does not lock you into anything.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

But I will agree with you that there is no other advantage to being married to saw Thai in Thailand vs just shacking-up.

Cheers,

SD

We registered our marriage in Thailand so my company would have to get her dependent visas on my assignments to various other countries. Of course, now that we are in Thailand that is a moot point, but say I get sent to Australia in a year or so, they will get her a visa for there. In addition, it allows us to file a joint tax return with the US IRS and as now that we are in Thailand, a joint Thai return as well, saving some money. Also, company pays for step daughters boarding school, which comes to some $15k a year. So being legally married has financial benefits, to say nothing of the even more important intangibles that go with making a commitment and being willing to make in official.

Have never paid any sin sot, though mother and sister do get a monthly allowance.

Don't take this the wrong way but it seems that you are fishing for examples on your own situation, which is fine.

There are never any rights or wrongs in any given situation, each to his own, the heart wants what the heart wants etc ...

This forum is good for one important reason, you can look at other people's trials or tribulations or in the worse case scenario, their mistakes, then look at your own situation. Based on that, you think objectively not subjectively, and be led into the light and not to run into the darkness :)

From what I see' date=' there is zero benefit for a farang to marry a Thai lady and live in Thailand. I see only hassles [b'](visa crap, like have to renew every year, etc)[/b].

Mate, you keep saying that but I still do not get it. What does marriage have to do with visas? You can be married and still do the 30 stamp thing if you so choose. It makes no difference. Marriage actually opens up a visa option for you. It does not lock you into anything.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

But I will agree with you that there is no other advantage to being married to saw Thai in Thailand vs just shacking-up.

Cheers,

SD

I mention the Thai marriage visa because when compared to a USA green card, the Thai marriage visa does about squat for you...other then you have to prove (list up) that you get X baht to support your wife, you have to renew the visa every year, you get no work permit out of the visa.

Yes, you could nix the marriage visa and do visa runs, so all the more so, why marry a Thai? as it gets you nothing *** from the Thai gov ***.

If you work for a international company, then the company may pony up and provide benefits, which is great!

I see that the Thai marriage visa gets you far less then a USA green card and zero bennies from the Thai gov.

The Thai marriage visa opens up visa options? Thai marriage visa, that you have to renew every year? that you have to prove financial stuff, every year? I don't see that opening up any visa benefit only hassles.

I would like to see a Thai marriage visa getting you; (1) a work permit, (2) at least a five year visa to stay in Thailand (like the US green card),

(3) retirement benefits (like US Social Security), etc. IMO, the US provides x bennies to Thai married couples living in the USA, so Thailand should do likewise.

...or what was said in another thread...

http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/527617/pid/691388/post/last/m/1/#LAST

"...Last week my "Thai" wife got her Italian citizenship (already had PR, got it from day 1), at the small ceremony the prefect asked us how we felt, "an idiot" was my reply.

She didn't know Thailand granted me fuck all for being married to one of its citizens apart from the "right" to get 1 year NON-IMMIGRANT visas after showing an income of 5 times the 2008 average Thai wage. If I were the father of Thai citizens I wouldn't get even that!

I told her I can't own land and houses, can't get PR nor citizenship, can't work most jobs, nearly always have to pay more than the Thais, am not equal to them in the courts and before the police and so on and on... Also told her that if I were a woman and was married to a Thai man I would have a bit of a less hard time getting citizenship since men and women aren't equal in Thailand... FUCK Thailand and countries like Thailand!..."

My points, exactly.

Yes, if we are talking about that level it brings problems as well.

Nothing is without problems. I've been in that situation, and how do you manage to convince a Thai girl who is rather well off and happy in Thailand to move abroad. And face the problems that brings.

So do you turn your own life around and move there when you aren't well equipped to do it or what?

Both the poor girls sceanrios and the better off ones have problems, don't think either of them are rosy. Its 2 cultures and worlds apart clashing and don't forget it.

Archived