ostrichs , Farming of . Go west young BuBi

buffalo_bill

Boardsmen ,

admittedly I posted this very same thread on the Thai Visa Forum because somebody told me they have an agricultural department which is true. I promise Khunsanuk and all others that I will never ever butterfly again but it is important . For those who don't know what an ostrich is : damned big birds which bite you if they can and shit and pee simultaneaously which is not easy .

That's what I wrote :

bad news first , I am neither an expat nor do I need a visa . I would further hate to retire in the kingdom nor do I plan to open a bar , diving school , motorcycle rental not do plan to marry Miss Wonderful from Lumpini Park or from a chat site . Reason for my appearance here is that somebody described the Thai Visa Forum to me as South East Asia's foremost platform for agricultural issues , emphasis ostrichs . Unfortunately the search function delivers nothing but insignificant material . I am , basically ,after something that following a reasonable investment could give a North Eastern family a decent income based on the 10 Rai or whatever they usually have . In other words, the project is pure abstract science . Her name is Nok .

I have now been travelling through the kingdom various times investigating the possibilities and finally started to research the ostrich business . Last trip led me to somewhere 2 hours outside BKK passing Grand Palace and a bridge , Kanchanaburi direction . Sorry but Thai city names mean nothing to me . This place has been on Channel 5 some months ago and is run by an impressively clever Thai ( not Chinese ) female citizen and according to her and what else I found out there seems to be something worthwhile to be considerd . In fact what I found out sounds damned good . I am now researching the downside because some places did shut down in the meantime and I would like to know what went wrong . In case there is any knowledge available please be so kind to share it . I would in turn be happy to discover some basics if of interest .

Cordially

BuBi

May I take the liberty to include the Thai360 forum into my prayers for enlightenment .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are serious about that.

I can ask my sister (agronomical engineer) to talk with a friend of her.

Said friend opened an ostrich farm...

I could ask them info about how to breed etc...

My sister could do a quick study (for free) about the viability of your project (including financial study)...

But only if you are damn serious about this project, and you would have to take some info about import-export taxes on various necessary products etc..

" If you are serious about that. "

:question: :question: :question: Could you by all means remember anything I have not been serious about :susel::susel::susel: :evil:

There are lots of websites , books and what you have available about ostrichs . Point is we are in The Land of Smiles and all is samesame different . Any help from your sister would be most welcome , thank you for your offer [color:red]but it would have to be about Thailand .[/color] There are several farms in Portugal run by emigrated Germans :doah: but they are all meant to be Zoos , not for surviving .

Yes but what I mean is the following.

- My sister's friend is quite knowledgeable about the breeding part and the costs...-> as they ared bred to become your meal

- My sister has been taught how to manage such a project...anywhere

The "only" difference might be things such as:

- Import taxes for special products needed for the meal on legs

- Legal difficulties to develop such a project there

- Special study aboutthe economic development for this kind of meat (thus export markets and cost comparison with similar competitors in other countries

This said it might be better to continue discussing this by pm.

Or if you are in bkk in July to talk about that face to face.

Cheers

Fine then, will ask her about big potential problems.

I guess that by July I will have the complete info.

I know nothing about these animals except as steaks.

Will ask her if there various sub species etc... too and if some are better for SEA.

Will also try to get by the friend an idea about the market and its potential.

By the way, I love ostrich steaks

:beer: :grin:

why ostriches?

i do not think that ostrich meat is a very popular market in Thailand! the masses eat chicken and a bit of duck and the few who likes "red" meat usually also can afford imported beef from US or Newzealand. i have seen ostrich on a couple of menus of a bit more high end or experimenting thai restaurants though.

first i would check the market and where to sell and then consider about farming and feeding problems!

Archived