Call off July trip ?????

vinod

I also think the risk of getting stuck because of a coup is low. But the existence of a thread asking this question illustrates an important fact that we ex-pats tend to forget: much of the rest of the world, particularly the developed world (read: investors), view coups with alarm.

One of my Saturday morning rituals is to review and respond to work emails that come in from the US during their Friday. And from today's excercise, which has gone into overtime (its now past noon), it is evident that investors are watching events here very closely and that they are concerned.

Their fears may be misplaced, but they are very real. Coups aren't common blase events in Western Europe, Japan or the US, and many in the US thought those days were over in Thailand.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That all said about the previous coup - I have a mate who has made two trips to Thailand - both times a coup within days of arriving both times locked down in his hotel.

If coming - avoid Bangkok - Fark knows it's crowded enough any!

After a few days in Thailand, he will forget about his business considerations and use the coup as an excuse to stay, like most businessmen.

I wonder if TAT is behind all these coups... :hmmm:

Hi

If this was 4 yrs back I would not be worried as employee working, luv to get stuck in LOS, as I can tell "hav too mut problem, now I no com" but now with own business and holding a consierable stake in the company, $$$ counts, pussy can wait.

Like the sizer of the government house, they can size the airport and every thing come to stand still..... looks like the army is in 2 minds... with chief tell the PM to disslove the house, as per the reports in BP .

cheers

I wouldn't worry too much about this. I highly doubt they'd close the airport, and most of the demonstrations are away from Suk and the airport. Might be some traffic problems in some areas due to this and a possible coup will slow things down a bit, depending. Last time no real problems. If it gets violent and speads from the demonstrators areas it could cause problems, but I think the Thai government will not let anyone close the airports and disrupt business as usual very much. Too much money involved there, and I think the protesters are not that stupid to push it that far as to disrupt most business. I don't think the army or the police will let that happen, no matter what side they are taking in this.

Cent

Curiously, my Thai friends are wanting violence...never seen the like of it before...they seemed to realise a dramatic change is needed, but weren't into being the ones involved. The prospect of extremes seemed a logical necessity! I was surprised, they are usually so calm and peaceful!

Faustian,

"I was surprised, they are usually so calm and peaceful!"

Yes, they are usually. But when they aren't it gets pretty weird and hairy, as they seem to know no limits once the dam has broken open. When tempers flare here I try to get the hell away, as they are totally nuts.

Had a murder here a couple/few months back outside the Speed 3 Disco. 3 or 4 guys on 1, they took a large chunk of concrete and smashed the man's skull in repeatedly in front of many witnesses. No sense at all, and over some small slight. When it goes off these people go mental and beyond. Must be all that repressed anger that builds up over time maybe? I dunno, but they do go WAY over the top when they let go.

Cent

much of the rest of the world, particularly the developed world (read: investors), view coups with alarm.

"Viewing coups with alarm"?!? There are some weird people out there, eh..? :)

Coups aren't common blase events in Western Europe, Japan or the US, and many in the US thought those days were over in Thailand.

Heck, even long time expats based in Thailand thought so! Browse some of the threads here, there are supposed "old hands" who still haven't got a clue about Thailand and who are still living in Cloud Cuckoo Land...

Around 1.5/2 years before the last coup I was being laughed at by the usual suspects on a small Pattaya based board for writing that Thailand was still a long way from becoming a democracy and still was just a step away from the next coup.

Those were the people who liked to join the Thais' arrogance in scorning countries like Myanmar and Singapore (at the 2 ends of the spectrum) while praising Thailand for being the only true South East Asian democracy... :rotl:

Archived