Call off July trip ?????

vinod

The supporters of the PAD are mainly from the middle class; means there education is far higher than that of bribed buffaloes carried from the provinces to Bangkok to support Thaksin and his nominee Samak.

Precisely. The Thai middle class consists primarily of university graduates who have pulled themselves up financially, but are nowhere near wealthy. One might be surprised at how many university grads and even lecturers are the first in the family even to have finished secondary school.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the local schoolteachers here in Surin are pushing for the PAD. We had a large rally up here a few days ago. Teachers who frequent our shop were urging my wife and her sister to attend. They did. We have been given PAD Yellow neckerchiefs as well. Oddly enough it is the women that seem to be all for the PAD cause. Many men are against them/it.

If the middle class wants to ever win an election again maybe they need to start reproducing more children in comparison to the poorer members of their society? They seem outnumbered. Although I have read that Thailand's population growth has slowed considerably.

But it looks to me the more educated the Thai the more likely he is for PAD and against the current government and Taksin.

I have a friend who says the acronym PAD actually stands for 'People Against Democracy'. They had an election. They lost... again. Seems to him the will of the majority, shown in a fairly fair election, is trying to be subverted by the PAD.

Why isn't Sonhti (sic) running for office? Why isn't he starting his own political party and running against the PPP/TRT? Why did they not run this last time, instead of walking away and not contesting the election with a valid political party? Likely because they knew they could not win, and would then 'lose face' in the loss, and lose the 'legitimacy' they seem to have now if they had run and lost.

The biggest problem for the government now is the fact they do not have the backing of the military. Samak did not look happy after his meeting with Anupong.

That race track where many of the protesters are now is where my wife's older sister works. I've eaten there many times over the years. There is a building on the property that houses 60 'rooms' with 60 hong nams. The police opened these rooms so the PAD rally people could make use of the bathrooms there. So far the police have been pretty cool about it all and decent. I hope it can remain civilized.

Cent

p.s. I am of two minds about it all.

I think this is normal that women support the PAD, after all Thai women especially the educated ones would like some change in this (still) patriarcal society.

The problem might be that PAD supporters want some changes made in the country but have no ideas how these changes should occur?

Why isn't Sonhti (sic) running for office? Why isn't he starting his own political party and running against the PPP/TRT? Why did they not run this last time, instead of walking away and not contesting the election with a valid political party? Likely because they knew they could not win, and would then 'lose face' in the loss, and lose the 'legitimacy' they seem to have now if they had run and lost.

p.s. I am of two minds about it all.

You are right. However if Samak steps down and a new election is called, nothing will change. PPP or its successor in case PPP will be dissolved will just be reelected.

Only if election fraud and bribes are rigorously punished, the reelection of PPP can be prevented. Thaksinâ??s billions still finance the party and keep the local big shots aligned who firmly control their electoral districts.

How can it be that the banned 111 TRT executive are still running the show pretty openly? It is more than obvious that banned Nevin Chidchob is calling the shots at PPP and not Samak. Without breaking their influence and power nothing will ever change.

The laws are in place. Just their enforcement is missing. PPP committed enough violations which would have allowed their dissolution before December general election. Even the court confirmed that PPP and the current administration are just nominees of Thaksin.

You seem to be a cynic. Fine but I never said there is a perfect democracy in this world. Everywhere politicians trying to woo voters with promises they canâ??t or wonâ??t keep after being elected. However, the vote being going on in Thailand has reached a different level. Bribes paid to village heads to ensure there Moon Baans votes for the right party (see Yongyuth Tiyapairat), open cash handouts for votes, threatening whole districts if they donâ??t vote for TRT they wonâ??t get financial support from the government (!), â?¦

Furthermore, if politicians or parties have been convicted of electoral fraud or taking bribes, they are punished severely in the West.

Furthermore, if politicians or parties have been convicted of electoral fraud or taking bribes, they are punished severely in the West.

Archived