Call off July trip ?????

vinod

Drogon you've lost me on Taiwan - not quite sure what your saying there.

Flash - yep - "HE" (Can't spell Mahatir) - put his biggest opponent in jail - but the pillow biter was also from the same party - and today "HE" hates the current Prime Minister but is unable to do anything.

That to me is far better than Sillypore where Lee Quan Yu still manages the parliament remotely - and smarts under Goh being more popular and successful than his son.

Taiwan has suprised me - I am a KMT supporter at times - but the democratic opposition has been very good.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bibblies I was waiting for an answer from FIGJAM...

to demonstrate once more his extensive knowledge of all geopolitical problems...

:grin:

(but thanks for your comment, I do well know that Singapore and HK were British colonies as one of my uni works was about the Japanese attacks on these 2 colonies)

Cheers bibblies

:beer:

CTO: What I mean about Taiwan:

Look at the period right after WW2:

- Taiwan (Formose) got colonised by the KMT and they brought their families and for the most powerful -> they brought their wealth with them.

Of course they built a modern and powerful nation.

- Compared to HK/Singapore where many wealthy Chinese families were ruined by the conflict

(the Japanese did not treat them very well)

and who had to rebuild their wealth.

Hmmmm - In Sillypore the Chinese had to jostle against Indian and Malaysian families - Hong Kong I don't even consider - UK dropped them and China uses them as a buffer/profit center against the west.

Taiwan though - My old CEO was Taiwan family - i.e. NOT Mainland Chinese - and a nice bloke to boot - what has impessed e since the 90's is Taiwan's acceptance of Democracy and moving forward.

Oddly the country is/could be a great tourist destination - the term "Pearl of the Orient" is not without reason - some of the most stunning scenery and Hotels (6 star) I have been lucky enough to be in are in Taiwan - yet for a tourist to go there - "they" make it so hard - and they loose in the process!

It could and can be a stunning place to visit - but most likely most people will never do so - which is sad.

Moving to Sillypore where I grew up and the region near by - sad fact is - unless they have a task master with a whip - Chinese have a tendency to rape burn and pillage the neighbors. LQY kept that in check - in Malaysia/Indonesia they worked that out and slaughtered thousands if not more Chinese. A awful number not often recognized in modern history. In Thailand the Chinese got smart - like Sonti - leader PAD (People against Democracy) and adopted Chinese names. And assimilated very successfully.

Damm I love Beer Chang

Drogon, I am not wasting any more of my time until you throughly address all of my posts to you in the various threads of the last few days where I have been writing detailed point by point replies which you have regularly ignored.

As for my thoughts on democratic countries' date=' the ONLY mature democratic country outside of the West is Japan.[/quote']

ok then! let's bring democracy to all those underdevelopped immature countries in Asia..like GWB brought mercifully democracy to Afghanistan and Iraq! :neener:

Where have I said that we need to "bring" democracy anywhere?

BTW, out of the joke you could very well bring democracy for example to the Gulf or African countries and they may very well democratically choose to revert back to some kind of dictatorship...

Also, the fact that when given some form of "democracy" a lot of these peoples elect worse scum than the ones previously in power means nothing else that is what they want and what they are!

Look at Iran.

One can but hope...

Well, since you have just told me in that other thread to "give it a bloody rest" and now again seem to be on me (unfairly, IMO) I was writing the replies to all the rest of the posts of this interesting thread but I am now going to take another one of my periodic holidays from the board instead...

Cordially, FIGJAM.

Hi,

Figjam, you don't seem to get it, do you? While you make some good points (and I actually agree with several of them) you don't know when to give up and turn everything into a major argument. This is not helping your cause.

You might want to read this thread.

Sanuk!

Although I am almost always the one being scolded I am seldom the one who has started the personal attacks (honestly, I can't rerember when I may have ever done that). I always attack the message, not the messenger.

I admit to being a bit "hard" and "heavy" sometimes. The more absurd the point which someone is making is, the more "hard" and "heavy" my post is :)

But what usually happens is that people arguing with me find themselves with their back against the wall with no arguments left to defend their groundless nonsense so they start getting personal. Whenever that happens I simply reply in kind (with quite a good success, usually :) ), it's just the way I am and I do that both in the real life and on the boards.

As much as I may try to, I am not going to change and frankly I don't think I should, either... It would make my life easier, true, but also less enjoyable... :)

If that is incompatible with my membership on some board, so be it. I don't feel I am the one at fault.

Let me know, by PM would be best I think, if you prefer for me to go on posting on the threads I am now active in or if I should take one of my usual holidays to "cool off" :)

CTO,

Why is Taiwan difficult to visit (for tourists)?

Don't you get the 30day visa exception on arrival just like in TH???

Well most countries do & yes it's an amazing & worthwhile country - between TW, HK & SG I'd say Taiwan is the most 'exciting' while SG is the easiest to live in for a foreigner...

Archived