House buying

As a foreigner you can not own land -> you can not own a house.

(of course there are some ways around that law but...)

As simple as that.

You can always bid, price can be price, there are even auctions sometimes...

As a foreigner you can not own land -> you can not own a house.

(of course there are some ways around that law but...)

As simple as that.

You can always bid, price can be price, there are even auctions sometimes...

Could you explain this to me Drogon?

Between private parties? Who knows if the seller is willing to negotiate the price? It can't hurt to offer less, and be willing to walk away.

W.R.T. bank auctions, I have heard that bank employees will attend the auction and up the price if it isn't fetching an appropriate price. Don't know if these stories are true or if they are urban legend though. It can't hurt to try.

No doubt what you say is true especially on foreclosures , but can also work the other way round ..... as little publicity about the property as possible so that the bank employees /lawyers or their friends and relatives can buy a house at a steal.

A friend had that happen to him in a messy divorce where everything was being split 50/50.

I see many houses for sale on different realestate sites, year after year. My question if anyone knows is are they open for bidding as in US, or is the price the price???? :dunno:

To answer your original question. Yes, of couse, one can 'make an offer' at any lower price.

As stated above, you may be able to 'own' the house but you will never own the land under it.

You had better find a good barrister or lawyer - that speaks English or whatever language is comfortable for you.

'Owning' a house, if you are a foreigner, just don't happen in Thailand. You may obtain some legal rights to the structure. Or as some have done, just give it to your wife or gal friend and no need to worry. But make sure you purchase a condo in your own name also, so that you do have a place to go if things turn 'sour'!

So, to summarize: Buy the house but also buy a condo in your own name. You actually need two places if you decide to buy a house in Thailand - the house for you and gal and a condo just for you.

:wave:

Archived