Independence Day

rogueyam

I grew up in the mission, went to Mission High! Wow, we are practically brothers. In all actuality, the mission has changed a bit since I was a kid, but in some ways, it stays the same. Lets hang and get some tacos!

What's your favorite Mission District taqueria?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve, I am about 1/2 a mile from the Barrio here in the east bay...well, one of them. The place explodes on Cinco de Mayo, extra cops, streets closed etc...a real mess, good food and sexy women...but a lot of violence as well.

St. Patrick's day in NYC in the mid and late 1800s was much worse. The term 'Paddy wagon' for a police wagon came about because so many Irish-Americans were locked up in it, they just named it after them.

Then there were the riots with protestant Irish when they had their Orange Day celebrations and probably did it publicly just to piss of their catholic counterparts.

In Ireland they celebrate Saint Patrick's day by going to church.

Going to the pub is something they already do every day anyway.

I've heard it was never as big of a celebration as it was in the states.

Its a more public celebration in Dublin I heard but not sure if its true. The reason was many Irish-Americans would visit and expect the parades and such we have here in Chicago, Boston and NYC and left very disappointed so I've heard its a bit more upbeat to please Americans.

It was celebrated a bit more vocally here in the states by Irish immigrants as a matter of showing Irish pride as they were not accepted at first by Americans.

Jefferson sulked when the document he written was edited by the other members. They complained he called the King a tyrant and the southern representatives from Georgia and the Carolinas insisted on taking out the denunciation of slavery. Although I'll concede even I can't see what it had to do with independence from Britain.

The famous painting of all of them standing in line to sign it wasn't accurate as well. The signers were trying to avoid the British (we were already at war with Britain by that time) and snuck into Philadelphia at various times to sign. Also, each state had to approve it.

I grew up in the mission' date=' went to Mission High! Wow, we are practically brothers. In all actuality, the mission has changed a bit since I was a kid, but in some ways, it stays the same. Lets hang and get some tacos![/quote']

What's your favorite Mission District taqueria?

I usually go to the Salvadorian places. One on Capp, near 17th, has the big msoccer ball in the window, and La Santaneca is also o.k. Zoccalo has more atmosphere. The Cancun Taqueria isn't bad, and they have ceviche from time to time. Don't get over there much anymore. I'm in the East bay now, Richmond.

I grew up in a Welsh community. One of their holidays they loved to celebrate was St. David's day. Their holidays didn't consist of alchol; just good old fashion fun. I remember one thing they always would have is a grease pole. If you could climb to the top of the grease pole, you would get a prize. Never did see anybody ever make it to the top but did see a lot of guys with greasy pants.

In Ireland they celebrate Saint Patrick's day by going to church.

Going to the pub is something they already do every day anyway.

I've heard it was never as big of a celebration as it was in the states.

Its a more public celebration in Dublin I heard but not sure if its true. The reason was many Irish-Americans would visit and expect the parades and such we have here in Chicago' date=' Boston and NYC and left very disappointed so I've heard its a bit more upbeat to please Americans.

It was celebrated a bit more vocally here in the states by Irish immigrants as a matter of showing Irish pride as they were not accepted at first by Americans...

[/quote']

New Orleans has (had) a huge parade for St. Patty's day. Eight hours, non-stop!

Of course, all the spectators are are chugging from the gallon jugs of hurricanes and margaritas!

The parade is throwing cabbages and potatoes to the spectators...fun town!

I grew up in a Welsh community. One of their holidays they loved to celebrate was St. David's day. Their holidays didn't consist of alchol; just good old fashion fun. I remember one thing they always would have is a grease pole. If you could climb to the top of the grease pole, you would get a prize. Never did see anybody ever make it to the top but did see a lot of guys with greasy pants.

A lot of Welsh influence in the southern US. I remember greased pole contests when I was a kid, even tried it myself once. Probabaly a survival of some ancient fertility rite.

:hmmm:

We also had greased pig races. I suppose somebody would object to that now - Jews, Muslims, Vegans.

:dunno:

New Orleans has (had) a huge parade for St. Patty's day. Eight hours, non-stop!

Of course, all the spectators are are chugging from the gallon jugs of hurricanes and margaritas!

The parade is throwing cabbages and potatoes to the spectators...fun town!

Yeah, St. Paddy's in N.O. is fantastic (still). It is held in the Irish Channel neighborhood, uptown near the Garden District. There is a really distinct community there, depicted well (and hilariously) in the comedic novel by John Kennedy Toole entitled A Confederacy of Dunces.

Archived