SHERIFF JOE IS AT IT AGAIN!

cavanami

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The constitution says we can't have 'cruel and unusual punishment' but doesn't provide examples. Just a guess, but I think they left it to the socieity at the time to determine that. Punishment from those times are deemed cruel nowadays (hanging for example).

My main issue with prisons is the amount of brutality and rape. While I love knowing that some child rapist is going to get reamed anally for a few years, the fairness part of me says a person should be able to do their time quietly.

I'm talking about the car theives, bad check writers, etc. Does being beaten and raped justify that? I've harped on it before only because there were guys from our area in Philly who came back completely different and rumor was they were brutalized in prison. My oldest brother was in a stolen car that his friends took and given the choice of prison or 'Nam he took Vietnam without hesitation because he knew what would happen to an 18 year old in city jail. In those days some judges would suspend the sentence if he 'volunteered' for the army. In hindsight he joked that he should have took the jail sentence. He didn't come back from Vietnam the same person.

Isn't cruel and unusual that you can't do your time in peace?

HH, I used to hate the ACLU as well. I used to really wonder if they honestly loved the country and were protecting our liberties or they were commies who were using our own laws to undermine society. I can think of less than a handful of cases out of many tens of cases over time I've heard them back that I agree with.

Guest lazyphil

i dont even want to go there steve....but if i must, god forbid it. if the worst happened to you know who i'd not lose a wink of sleep knowing the perp was the cell cum recepitcle for his entire sentence on a daily basis.

time you watched training day again and adopting the alonzo way of thinking!

Now, I'm all for punishing criminals, etc. but I cringe a little when I hear they get pennies an hour. I'm assuming they can be legally excluded from minimum wage laws.

Unlike people who have to survive on minimum wage on the outside or in 3rd world countries for that matter, prisoners have everything they need to sustain their life provided by the prison system. The wages allow them to earn a bit of money for extra's from the commissary if THEY CHOOSE to work.

So how are the stats on re-offenders? Does what he do work? I doubt it.

I cant find any studies to quote but it appears that the Maricopa County Recidivism Rates are on par with the National Average.

So he's doing no worse than the majority but for a hell of a lot less money.

I was interested to see the article describes all other American jails as "living in luxury".

I'm tempted to move there, shoot Cheney, and retire in one.

Regardless of popular sentiment a prison sentence is deprivation of liberty for a period of time, not slave labor in appalling conditions.

When poor people manipulate the law to suit themselves they go to jail.

Sheriff Joe does it and is roundly applauded.

Sherriff Joe makes those boys work for about the same wage they work for in China. Maybe he got the idea from one of his commie friends. Near Joe's prison is another prison. It is a State prison located in Florence. If you want, you go outside the prison and can buy some of the prison shit that was created by Chinesee style labor.

Archived