Weekend away

khunsanuk

Koh Sichang, an island just north of Pattaya. I went there this Songkran and it was great! Nice beach, 95% Thais. No bars or go-go places. Good seafood. Stayed in a small motel, 600 baht a night.

Kanchanburi. Stay on the river in one of the floating lodges. Quiet, peaceful. Fun to swim in the river. They lodge will take you upstream and you can float back.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An area that I have enjoyed is the surrounds of Si Mahosot (highway 319). There you can find the oldest Buddha footprint in Thailand and the oldest bodhi tree in Thailand, brought from Sri Lanka 1000+ years ago. Nearby Prachin buri has a branch of the national museum. A nice place to stay would be Chachoengsao, where you can visit the horribly large and ugly Wat Sathon. Although the area isn't that pretty I find it worthwhile for the low key attractions and the friendly people.

I will let you in on a secret and one of my favorite places to go in Thailand...

It is village farm winery in wang naam kheo district in korat province. At least 10 to 15 degrees coooler than bkk but will need own car for drive....

It is though 3 to 4 hours up in the mountains. It has accomodations in the vineyards located on a top of a hill/mountain (winery style not sure why they called it a farm).

It includes western country style dinners and rarely a farang in sight...

The owner was eduacted at OSU (in oregon) in the States but not sure where he picked up his interest in growing grapes though being trained by french management...A great weekend getaway from BKK...

Probably should not have let people in on one of my secrets.....

CB

About 17 km south of Pattaya there's a few simple resorts on the beach (Sunset?) far from Pattaya sleaze, just straight sea and beach. Nearby some 'family entertainment'.\, Nong Nooch gardens, Elephant riding, underwaterworld etc.

You can do the Pattaya tourist trip without ever going into Pattaya.

hour and a half from BKK

ko kret is a nice weekend trip! see the temples, the potterys, a "museum" for thai sweets, take a long tail boat. there is also a floating market nearby in Taling Chan, which is much less tourist focused and more authentic than the one in Damnoensaduak.

another idea would be Nakhon Pathom. the biggest (not sure in asia or worldwide) Chedi is impressive, rose farm (a bit touristy) and a house of wax (thai style Madame Tusseaud's).

or NOT to Pattaya but at least towards this direction. temple in Chachoengsao, Khao Kiew open zoo (nice for the kids with penguins in thailand!), Bang Saen, Sri Racha tiger zoo and Ko Si Chang, a nice quite island to spend the night in one of the guest houses

Hi,

Ko Kret, sounds familiar, where is that?

Nakhon Pathom is out as we've been to all of those places already.

I rather like zoos myself, but my wife doesn't like them at all, so I'm afraid those are probably out as well. However, isn't there a big aquarium around there somewhere where you can walk below the water?

Sanuk!

Underwater World, outside of Pattaya. I've been there with the family 2 or 3 times. Nice place to visit with the family. Tunnels you can walk through which are going through the bottom of the aquarium. Interesting and cool to see from this perspective. Up close with the fish and sharks. Kids loved it. Nong Nooch, mini-Siam, etc. Sri Rachada tiger zoo and croc farm as well is nicely done and a good day out. Lots to see and do around Pattaya actually for family.

Cent

Guest lazyphil

nonthaburi/pak kret. i've been on that island lots of times and agree with samak its worth a look. couple of baht for the little boat ride too. great little weekend market. low stress place!

Archived