Speaking Thai to BGs

frede

What do you think? Does it help? Does it hinder?

I dont mean a few cute Tai words to show you are trying, I mean being able to hold you own and converse in Thai.

I aint going to give an opinion on this BUT Im interested on your own.

I lived in the Bonnies many moons ago and have one of them brains that A: Is wired to Poontang and B: Picks up languages, so Im fluent.

BUt what about you guys that can speak Thai, what do you think? And you guys that cant, do you think this would give you an advatage to extracting a better ride?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always. A simple rule: if the gal balks, then run away. She's a scammer.

It is fun to pretend not to understand Thai. However, I can't get thru more than a few minutes of inane BG patter without blowing it by giggling. :dunno:

Cheers,

SD

I think part of it really depends on the girl. Already said, some girls do speak little English, so it helps. But, when I started learning Thai years ago I insisted on speaking it. Have a current GF who told me when she met me years ago it plain gave her a massive headache to listen to me speak Thai. She would have to listen very intently to understand what tones I was poorly trying to express. At the same time she would have to hear and interpret "what the hell I had said" when I wasn't even close. She said she occasionally felt she had to take a day break from me just because I gave her a headache with my Thai. Now she refuses to speak English with me because I have the same problem with her.

So the point here is, you may think that you speak Thai well, but I really think there are 3 levels: (1) you don't speak enough for it to be useful; (2) you speak enough Thai that you persist on being annoying; (3) you speak Thai well enough for it to be useful in whatever your pursuit.

I can say I feel the same with Thai's that speak English to me, and I am confused at what they are trying to say or they proceed so slowly that it begins to be annoying.

Like SD, the first three minutes or so can be entertaining. It's the reaction when they find out you 'know mutt too mutt' that can seperate a good experience from the bad.

It works another way too. There was one in cowboy purportedly doing it to stay in uni; she immediately asked for a 20,000 baht sponsorship to stay out of the bar and exclusive rights. What the hell was she thinking?

I was in an NEP bar one night when a BG strutted right towards me, hand outstretched and spouting the usual "whatyounamewheyoucomefrumhowlongyoustaythailan" drivel. I turned and replied in Thai. She glared at me, spun on her heels and stomped away angrily. Obviously, I was no easy meal ticket and she wouldn't waste her time even trying.

:)

Archived