Speaking Thai to BGs

frede

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for personal insults, I didn't make any. I simply questioned the logic and attitude.

Bibbs,

I never implied that you or anyone else was responsable for the first insult, just pointing out that this is an interesting thread that does not need to be dragged down to a slanging match, I even find myself agreeing with Frede on this topic.

If certain people are comfortable with getting by just in English then good for them, as I said I was "ignorant" for the first 8-9 years I was here and thought I had a good life. Its ironic that when I stopped being a barfly at the turn of the millenium is when I started to take learning Thai seriously. Having lived both in the bubble and out of the bubble I know which makes for a richer and more varied experience for myself.

I have expat friends who have been here 25-30 years who probably have a vocabulary of only 20 Thai words, they think they are living in Thailand but IMHO they are on the peripheral and associating with other expats all the time. Each to their own I say!

I speak English to Thais whose English is fluent. If it isn't, I use Thai. It's not a matter of showing of, but simply a matter of communication.

And yes ... I know Farangs who've lived here since the 1980s and simply are not interested in learning even basic Thai. 'Tis a puzzlement.

This whole exchange started when I said I donâ??t speak Thai and was asked nicely and not so nicely :confused: . how I could live in Thailand and not speak the language. I responded that for me, it was not a problem and went on to explain how that works for me. In return I was subjected to personal attacks, accused of having a superior attitude, and not having a clue of what is going on around me. :sleeping: Speaking Thai would not enhance my professional life, nor get any more business for my company. In our industry, being a native English speaker is an advantage and speaking Thai makes no difference at all. In my personal life, I am not a control freak, I am more then happy to have things taken care of for me and just observe what is going on without active verbal participation. Some find that hard to take, but it works for me, and I know many others that do the same in their personal lives. :beer: Nevertheless, I freely admitted it would be nice to be able understand Thai, but for my work and personal lifestyle it is just not a requirement.

I am in Thailand for purely economic reasons. I make more money now then I have my entire working life or ever expected to. If I can do this for a few more years, I will be able to retire and pretty much continue this lifestyle without the bother of having to go to work every day. :hubba: I am here because I have huge economic advantage, which unlike some, I freely admit. If my company offered me a position in another country that made more money, I would take it. But the fact of the matter is, that because some quirks in my personal life, it would be next to impossible for them to offer more money on another assignment. On a personal level, Thailand is great because after living in various countries for a number of years, it like a payback for the difficult years overseas for my wife to be able to live here and be near her family and run her business in person.

I am just a bit baffled as to why my lifestyle, in which I am very happy, cosseted or not, seems to spark such hostility in some people.

:dunno:

You may be a mercenary salaryman - and even an extremely good one - it's irrelevant.

Don't you have a Thai wife? Don't you want to communicate with her better?

You keep saying not knowing Thai isn't a personal requirement in your lifestyle.

This may be a controversial statement, but I would equate that with not knowing your wife too well to be a personal requirement in your lifestyle.

To be so openly ignorant about something as crucial as that appears to be more than forgetfulness - or even at a blush, carelessness!

Go home from work right now, buy her some flowers and apologise in your very best Thai!!! Good Man.

Archived