Coup?

CTO

Bangkok Post

2 Dec 2008

Anarchy must not prevail

Thailand is on TV screens and front pages around the world, for all the wrong reasons. They report dead and dozens wounded in attacks by war weapons. Thuggish gangs have closed the country's main communications and trade links with terror-like tactics. Evacuation planes are flying to Thailand to rescue citizens of the Philippines, Spain, Russia and other angry countries. The Asean summit is in tatters.

And these are only the cases of international violation. Much worse is the damage that extremist political forces are doing to their own country. On the weekend, through the Abac Poll, the huge majority spoke eloquently. More than three quarters of citizens are embarrassed - ashamed - of the damage done in the community of nations; 58% told the Assumption University survey they cannot and will not take sides between the extremists leading the country into anarchy. And 92% said the judicial system can and should solve any problems where politicians cannot find compromise.

According to the Thai Chamber of Commerce and other business groups, economic losses cannot even be calculated. Hundreds of thousands have lost their jobs, along with billions of baht in trade and future opportunities.

The prime minister lives in a sort of internal exile, as if he were the mayor of Chiang Mai. Protesters demand the resignation of the government, which raises an interesting question: Does Thailand have a functioning government?

Thailand will be further humiliated when another country - or no country - hosts the Asean summit and associated meetings, scheduled to begin on Dec 15. There never was much of a chance that the beleaguered government could get its act together for the event anyhow, and the seizure of the airports put paid to the idea. The plan to move the meeting from Bangkok to Chiang Mai was always a non-starter; you do not dump visiting heads of state in hastily arranged hotel rooms.

The statement by Foreign Affairs Minister Sompong Amornvivat on Sunday that the government "is concerned for the safety of world leaders who will attend the summit" is a poor attempt at saving face. There is no threat to visitors of any rank. There is, however, a threat to the government's face and survival.

Today is another day of decision. It will likely feature another ugly, ill-advised and potentially deadly confrontation. The "red shirts" of the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) have vowed to surround the Constitution Court to show their disapproval with the case which could see the dissolution of the People Power, Chart Thai and Matchimatipataya parties. The People's Alliance for Democracy has brought the country to the lip of anarchy; the UDD now wants to complete the task.

It now seems that violence cannot be avoided. Some even predict what has been unthinkable for 700 years: a civil war. The politicians have clearly failed the nation. That includes the government and its five coalition partners, but the opposition Democrat party has equally failed the nation. So, too, has the internal security apparatus; poorly led, it has been unwilling and unable to act.

At this terrible stage, and with the most important national holiday looming, it is vital to restore order. The continued flouting of the law and national custom by the PAD at the airports, and the defiant threats by the UDD to shut down the judiciary, are calls for action. The authorities must restore order.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen it - good to see nothing damaged inside - in fact that's the first news video I've seen of the inside! Who knows maybe the place will function quickly.

On the flip side I wonder how much duty free stock is still downstairs?

I thought the Haj Pilgrims where allowed to leave via U Tapoa?

If they are passengers why are they still there?

As said in another thread - I thought all passengers had left?

Yes, the fact that is first report I have seen from inside struck me as well. Says something about what the western press has been doing.

If you listen carefully they say the footage was shot just before the pilgrims were bused to another airport to catch the plane.

No comment on the interview with the muslim guy who said talking to them had made him understand what they were doing? Ever consider doing that yourself? Go find a shop showing ASTV (its not hard, many have it on all the time) and talk to the people about what they think the PAD is about.

I did think the American guy was pretty amusing.

TH

CTO that human watch piece is hardly unbiased towards democracy is it? :)

About inside footage of the airports or government house it's pretty much 24h on Thai TV :angel:

Yeah actually it doesn't seem like damages appear as bad as might be expected, but who cares about duty free those concessions we're illegal & run by thugs anyway :cover:

Court hearings this morning 10am & verdicts in the afternoon I presume. Cheers!

5 5 5 5 5 listening to ASTV - you have no idea about my job or work - trust me I know exactly what's been said and done :) but I choose to come to another conclusion.

If you doubt me ask your pal SD - I am the real thing.

The american looked spaced out - he was funny.

Coming to another conclusion is allowed, and I am certainly ambivalent about certain parts of this.

Now back on the issue, as said earlier, the airport part of the could be over by this evening.

December 2, 2008 : Last updated 10:28 am

Verdict on party dissolution case due today

Constitution Court president Chat Chonlaworn has confirmed that the verdict will be handed down today following the morning's hearing for closing statements on the party dissolution case.

Following the prosecution summation, Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa complete the closing statement to defend his party.

Matchima Thipataya Party leader Anongwan Thepsuthin is expected to participate in her party's defence summation.

The Nation

Archived