Coup?

CTO

Top Thai court bans ruling party

Thailand's constitutional court has dissolved the governing People Power Party and two of its coalition partners for fraud during the last election.

The parties' leaders, including Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, were banned from politics for five years.

But under the constitution, most of its MPs can keep their seats under another party name, and should be able to form another government, correspondents say.

Earlier, an anti-government protester was killed at a Bangkok airport.

Local television reported that a grenade had been fired at Don Mueang airport, the capital's domestic hub, which has been occupied by the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) since last week.

PAD supporters accuse Mr Somchai's adminstration of being corrupt and hostile to the much-revered monarchy, and wants the entire government to resign.

They also accuse Mr Somchai of being a proxy of his brother-in-law, exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Earlier on Tuesday, a protest by hundreds of red-shirted government supporters forced the constitutional court to move its final hearing to Bangkok's administrative courthouse.

After fewer than three hours in session, the head of the nine-judge panel, Chat Chonlaworn, announced that the court had found the People Power Party (PPP), the Machima Thipatai party and the Chart Thai party guilty of vote-buying, and unanimously agreed to disband them.

On Monday, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat said he would not resign

Dozens of the PPP's executive members, including Mr Somchai, were also found guilty of personal involvement and banned from politics for five years.

Judge Chat said that he hoped the ruling would "set a political standard".

Outside the court, where a large crowd of pro-government activists had gathered after learning of the relocation, there was a furious reaction.

Prime Minister Somchai's supporters accused the judges of sabotaging democracy and going against the people's will.

Despite the presence of a large number of riot police, the protesters soon blocked all access to the building and vowed not to let the judges out.

One former minister said members of the PPP who had escaped the political ban imposed on its leaders would regroup and form another coalition government.

"The verdict comes as no surprise to all of us," Jakrapob Penkair told the Reuters news agency. "But our members are determined to move on, and we will form a government again out of the majority that we believe we still have."

The BBC's Jonathan Head, outside the courthouse, says the court's ruling will provoke anger right throughout the heartland of the government's supporters in the north and north-east.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7759960.stm

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chaovarat becomes caretaker PM

No-1 Deputy Prime Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul will become caretaker prime minister pending a meeting of the caretaker Cabinet, PM's Office Ministers Sukhumpong Ngonkham said Tuesday.

He said the caretaker Cabinet would make a former decision as to who should be caretaker prime minister replacing disqualified Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

THE NATION

Correct SD (Note you have me on ignore and can't read this) - Faustian is allowed his views.

I only work with education in rural ares so my knowledge may be less than SD's. You see I also talk to the uneducated too. Not just the educated. Bad me :)

Faustian - rural education has been steadily improving. Many kids no longer drop out at year 6 which as the norm as little as 10 years ago. Staying onto Mor 6 or going into tech colleges at mor 4 is now far more common.

In fact too many kids in my opinion are going onto tertiary levels rather than undertaking skilled apprentiships.

This country - like many is now facing a problem of too many uni students (in their sexy outfits) and not enough trained workers.

Was this Thaksin - partly so and partly a evolution in Education that has slowly been evolving over time regionally and globally.

However whether educated or not - bar girl or not - THEY should be allowed to express their views and votes. Something SD has written here that their views are not worth listening too.

I know uni students who can't even recite the Thai alphabet....something I can just about do and I've never studied Thai and have lived here off and on for 3 years. That's Bangkok, reputable university students. I know hundreds of them.

You know about conceptual awareness and neural development, so you know that it is a higher level of functioning. It is absent in the vast majority of people. Such concepts as consequence/cause and effect or the ability to make cognitive connections between several pieces of retained information and determine a likely outcome. In the west 80%+ aren't able to conceptualise, as they fail to pass through the final stage of cognitive development. Here I'd suggest it is higher. The ruling elite seem to be a group who can plot and manipulate, blatantly and obviously to us, but seemingly hidden to most (and it seems obvious to us for sure! There's rarely anything subtle and sophisticated about the machinations of the elite here). There's little hope of a change. If you are taught by rote, then there's little chance of self awareness and independent thought occurring spontaneously, except in all but the most gifted.

As the expression goes..."in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is......" Mr T and his hoods know this. Ignorance is their greatest ally. It allows them to do what they do. If they really wanted to educate the populace, then they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm certain you do a great job and I truly admire your efforts, long may they continue. One day I hope to do similar things such as yourself, but I know about intellectual development, one of my oh so exciting tasks was to assess intelligence, both via psychometric tests and interview. When you work with dangerous offenders you have to be on the ball in this regard.

Thailand doesn't have a hope.

Faustian, please check your text with the board-rules!

I'm not aware of breaking any rules, in fact I'd say I've avoided plenty of pitfalls. Citing a well known expression, which I edited, I believe doesn't contravene any rules. Mr T and his cadre is the person I'm referring to throughout.

People are so jumpy lately. I'm extremely sensitive to the situation as well. If editing is required, for some reason, so be it, but I really couldn't imagine why!

I reckon face saving all round, PAD achieved fall of Govt, red shirts have new buddies in caretaker Govt and Army not used, happy all round

I hope so anyway.

Coss

Agreed, there's no real reason for this to continue now....a resolution has been reached, everyone got something that they wanted. Time to move on.

Faustian' date=' please check your text with the board-rules! [/quote']

I'm not aware of breaking any rules, in fact I'd say I've avoided plenty of pitfalls. Citing a well known expression, which I edited, I believe doesn't contravene any rules. Mr T and his cadre is the person I'm referring to throughout.

People are so jumpy lately. I'm extremely sensitive to the situation as well. If editing is required, for some reason, so be it, but I really couldn't imagine why!

never mind, i just told it because sometimes "i walk nearly the trap" while i'm frustrated. :smirk:

Archived