Church says sorry to Charles Darwin

Julian2

...the church's apology will focus on how wrong it was for senior bishops in the past to misunderstand and attack Darwin's theory about man being descended from apes.

Link

If they think this is what Darwin said, then they still don't have a clue.

Darwin: Man/ape have common ancestor.

And his theory was not evolution. His theory was about natural selection.

Evolution = change in allelic frequencies. Indisputable.

Unless you're the moron running as the US Veep candidate. :stir-the-pot: :evil:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Galileo also got a pardon from the Roman Catholic Church from the pope. Not the one in Rome now, but the one before. I think he also recognized the theory of evolution as being more than a hypothesis. So they seem to be more progressive on that issue than their fundamentalist brethren.

I've never seen anything about Islamic's being anti evolutionist.

However I was surprised to learn that Evolution was being taught for the first time in Greek schools only recently! Seems they have always been along with Orthadox Christians very much into the bible version of events, whatever that is

I was wrong - seems they can believe in evolution but only where it doesn't involve humans 5 5 5 5

As for the fossil remains of bipedal apes and the tools and artifacts associated with those remains, their existence poses no problem for Islamic teachings. There is nothing in the Quran and Sunnah that either affirms or denies that upright, brainy, tool using apes ever existed or evolved from other apelike ancestors. Such animals may very well have existed on Earth before Adamâ??s arrival upon it. All we can draw from the Quran and Sunnah is that even if those animals once existed, they were not the forefathers of Adam (peace be upon him).

Where's my apology for all the latent life issues I have due to their scaring the hell (literally and figuretively) out of a little boy in a southern baptist upbringing? :(

I still can't watch scary movies. Revelations...oh, that book was as bad as a scary movie to a 7 y.o.! :susel:

Archived