Church says sorry to Charles Darwin

Julian2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi' date='

"There were a lot of false prophets in his days"

What is the difference between a false prophet and a 'real' prophet? Getting away with the scam?Sanuk![/quote']

Greeeetings KS!

A "true prophet" is one who receives a vision of the future from God, Himself. It ALWAYS comes true.

A false prophet , such as Balam, is either a total huckster, or receives some visions, some of which come true, some of which don't. Typically they were stoned to death.

One "true prophet" which didn't come true is worthy of note. God told Jonah to go to the village of Nineveh and tell them the Lord was going to destroy them. He told them. Then out of fear they "repented", so the Lord didn't destroy them. The Lord told Jonah, and Jonah got pissed that God didn't commit genocide--Jonah didn't like looking like a false prophet.

There's also another even stranger account in the Bible. King Solomon wanted to consult with the previous High Priest, Samuel. Previous, coz he was dead. So Solomon goes to a witch to conjure up Samuel's spirit. Freaky stuff.

Cheers!

Pretty much what I've been taught as well. I recall in a sermon at church that the people killed the ones that didn't have their predictions/visions come to pass.

The length of time would sometimes be a long time. Noah preached for 30 years I think that the flood was coming. He lived for 600 years (according to the bible) so you have to take the time frame in its proper context.

There are also references about in the end times, "your old men will see visions and dream dreams", or some such thing. And the two witnesses that appear in Revelation 11 are Elijah and Moses, symbolically if not literally (Elijah having never died but taken up to heaven in a chariot of fire).

Cheers!

Didn't moslems claim the same thing happened to Mohammed?

In churches I grew up in many (almost always women) had claimed various degrees of visions and dreams about things. That's very common in churches.

I also heard a lot of that end of world stuff as a kid. Scared the bejeebies out of me. Still does to some extent. I recall getting smacked in the back of the head and sent to my room once as a teenager (by this time I knew a little about the bible) and said to my mom and some of my aunts who were discussing the end of world stuff and saying its near, etc. '..but if the bible says 'I will come as a thief in the night and that if someone says 'lo, the time is near, do not believe them' then aren't you breaking scripture? You can't know, only prepare yourself spiritually right?' SMACK! lol...I learned never use logic when discussing religion.

Some of my female relatives on my mom's side speak in tongues. My maternal grandmother who stayed with us did that too at times. My dad's side wouldn't go for it. Wouldn't allow any of us to do it or let anyone from my mom's side help us do it.

The embarassing thing was having one of them visit and go to church with us and do it. Our church wasn't one of those types.

Speaking in tongues is very common in a lot of churches, especially in the south and midwest and a few of the 'sanctified' churches in the north where I grew up but its basically a midwest, southern thing though.

Archived