Church says sorry to Charles Darwin

Julian2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also heard a lot of that end of world stuff as a kid. Scared the bejeebies out of me.

Yeah, me too. Don't remember the chapter n verse in Revelation, but there's a passage where it talks about the beast overcoming the saints. They would be "delivered up". In the same passage it states that no saints would escape it. Then, it restated the same sentence, only slightly differently. It seems to exclude the possibility of "Christian survivalism". Usually passages making broad statements have exceptions, but the way this was translated into English made it sound absolute. A little disturbing.

Pity the Left Behind series movies suck. There's so much they could do with them. The Seventh Seal and a few others are pretty good.

I recall getting smacked in the back of the head and sent to my room once as a teenager...my mom and some of my aunts...SMACK! lol...I earned never use logic when discussing religion.

or use logic when speaking with women!

'I will come as a thief in the night and that if someone says 'lo, the time is near, do not believe them' then aren't you breaking scripture? You can't know, only prepare yourself spiritually right?'

Yeah, that's right. There's something about no one knowing the exact time, not even the Son, only the Father. But then Christ does state that he was telling them about some of the prophecies so that they would know "the times and the seasons". So, apparently one can know enough to be confident it is coming (Isreal a nation again, all eyes seeing events in Jerusalem at the SAME TIME (television), a mark for buying and selling (possibly 2nd or 3rd generation RFID chip), but we are suppose to avoid "date setting".

The embarassing thing was having one of them visit and go to church with us and do it. Our church wasn't one of those types.

Would LOVE to have seen that :D

My first wife was a Southern Baptist. Really would have enjoyed corrupting her...sigh...Anyway, when they had their invitation to come up front, while singing "Just as I am without one plea", I use to grab her hand and say, "Come on honey, don't you want to go up front?" Really enjoyed embarrassing her.

Prophets come up in all religions, I've just been reading about American Indian shamans and vision women.

The great Sioux shaman and warrior ThaÅ¡uÅ?ka Witko, Crazy Horse, dreamed of his victory over Custer after several days Sun Dancing.

It's easy to scoff and ignore, a lot easier than actually thinking abut it.

Loner, I've been to all types. I went to a few while in college in Alabama that you'd have really foun interesting. I went to one church where the women would 'get the holy spirit'. I was wondering why the ushers were all these big burly guys. Let me tell ya, they could hardly hold these small church women down who were doing the holy spirit dance and flailing around. It was my freshman year and my roommate was a good, catholic boy from Long Island NY. Scared the hell out of him (no pun intended). I enjoyed it, having seen a little of it in my time.

Speaking in tongues is a gift and I used to admonish those that did it by saying that the bible says that they are not to use it in the presence of those that are unbelievers or wouldn't understand it. The bible also says that someone should be able to translate it. I've never found anyone who has been able to translate it. hehehe

The 'tongues' is a known language. It could even be an ancient one but it is supposed to be an actual language and not jibberish.

I do enjoy the 'energy' in the churches though when I visit having not gone in a long time. I've had a couple of my British friends come to one here in LA out of curiosity. One an LOS friend, one a guy from the pub I watch games with. You can't beat a black baptist church for high energy preaching "...Moses went up to the MOUNTAIN!...I SAID (done if he doesn't get enough amens.) MOSES WENT UP TO THE MOUNTAIN!!" lol..brings back memories of when I was a little kid. After a couple hours though I was asleep with my head in my mom's lap. Maybe its one of the reasons I can sleep through anything.

Speaking of Revelations, what always scared me was when all were forced to get the mark and I would worry that the penalty was going to be so excruciating (wear a NY Yankees or Manchester United shirt) I'd say 'eff it, give me the mark' and I'd go to hell. That used to scare me sh*tless!

Hi,

"The 'tongues' is a known language."

So, how come nobody has been able to translate it? If it was language rather than gibberish you can bet someone would have figured out how to translate it by now.

No offense meant, but to me all this 'talking in tongues' is bullshit.

Of course, I am severely biased and despise organized religion.

Sanuk!

Archived