Your experience: Thailand:: the good and the bad

Tiger Moth

Sorry TM you come across as an impatient arrogant person.

Your frustration at KFC and Food Court was caused by your own impatience as you rightly admitted, rather than just adapt the MPR attitude at KFC and waited another 5 minutes whilst observing all the eye candy you decided to make a scene, spit the pacifier and toys out of the pram. Then with this pent up rage stormed off to food court where the simplest thing set you off again.

A Ladyboy tried to hit on you, get over it damn if I was to make a post everytime I was propositioned in Thailand by a Ladyboy I would have twice as many posts as Torneyboy.

The parking incident was again your impatience made it a scene, nlock parking and pushing of cars is very common in Thailand, why do you think there is a release mechanism to allow an Automatic Transmission to be taken from park and put into neutral once the key is removed? DOH

The reason I call you arrogant is because you recently started a thread called "Heading to a Nightmare?" (or something similar) where you were making yourself out to be far superior than other fangs you know in Udon, yet you post this which is an admission of your own ignorance.

If you cannot learn to be less impatient and not to expect western standard of service, the little things that annoy you it will eat you up, count to ten and enjoy your retirement. Its not as if an extra 5 minutes in KFC is going to have a major impact on your daily schedule is it now?

To be honest instances such as you have mentioned used to piss me off as well but over the years, and the wife telling me Jai Yen Yen, I have learned to accept it and understand the "Thai Way" a little better, I will never understand it fully, but since I have adapted I find life far less stressful and more enjoyable.

Maybe you misunderstood my initial posting, or I was to brief to get my point across, if that is all that you have to worry about then you really have nothing to worry about.

So in reply to the OP 1) TIT

And that is what we expats have to remember, its is often said in jest but it is well worth remembering. The way things are done, the way priorities are set and the overall way of life is very different than what we are used to in the west, the Thais have been like this for over a thousand years, Mr Farang aint gonna change their concepts overnight. This is Thailand and the sooner that the Thai way is accepted and understood the easier life becomes over here, what you percieve now as negatives will be seen as differances. And the positives far outway the differances.

Refer to my Signature and Jai Yen Yen

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry TM you come across as an impatient arrogant person.

Your frustration at KFC and Food Court was caused by your own impatience as you rightly admitted, rather than just adapt the MPR attitude at KFC and waited another 5 minutes whilst observing all the eye candy you decided to make a scene, spit the pacifier and toys out of the pram. Then with this pent up rage stormed off to food court where the simplest thing set you off again.

A Ladyboy tried to hit on you, get over it damn if I was to make a post everytime I was propositioned in Thailand by a Ladyboy I would have twice as many posts as Torneyboy.

The parking incident was again your impatience made it a scene, nlock parking and pushing of cars is very common in Thailand, why do you think there is a release mechanism to allow an Automatic Transmission to be taken from park and put into neutral once the key is removed? DOH

The reason I call you arrogant is because you recently started a thread called "Heading to a Nightmare?" (or something similar) where you were making yourself out to be far superior than other fangs you know in Udon, yet you post this which is an admission of your own ignorance.

If you cannot learn to be less impatient and not to expect western standard of service, the little things that annoy you it will eat you up, count to ten and enjoy your retirement. Its not as if an extra 5 minutes in KFC is going to have a major impact on your daily schedule is it now?

To be honest instances such as you have mentioned used to piss me off as well but over the years, and the wife telling me Jai Yen Yen, I have learned to accept it and understand the "Thai Way" a little better, I will never understand it fully, but since I have adapted I find life far less stressful and more enjoyable.

Maybe you misunderstood my initial posting, or I was to brief to get my point across, if that is all that you have to worry about then you really have nothing to worry about.

So in reply to the OP 1) TIT

And that is what we expats have to remember, its is often said in jest but it is well worth remembering. The way things are done, the way priorities are set and the overall way of life is very different than what we are used to in the west, the Thais have been like this for over a thousand years, Mr Farang aint gonna change their concepts overnight. This is Thailand and the sooner that the Thai way is accepted and understood the easier life becomes over here, what you percieve now as negatives will be seen as differances. And the positives far outway the differances.

Refer to my Signature and Jai Yen Yen

Well, we seem to have at least made a move towards conversation.

I can be impatient but I am not arrogant.

Let me try to explain. Most of all, I was struck by how very kind and generous the young Thai guy was who helped me out by pushing and holding the big pickup truck when my car was blocked in. I wish I had a movie that could show him as I offered him 100 baht and he said "mai bpen rai" his posture, his face - everything nice about Buddhism and Thailand. This is what immediately preceded my post.

Having had this very nice experience that seems special in Buddhist countries and Thailand in particular, I was struck by the thought that I had had several Thailand experiences in one week.

So, let me talk about what you refer to as the ladyboy experience. I used to live in Pattaya and in order to get to the beach, I either had to walk down Soi 6 or 6/1. Soi 6/1 has a lot of ladyboys. I normally chose Soi 6/1. I got hit on several times every time I walked down Soi 6/1. No problem. This is ladyboy territory and I expected it. In the situation I related to in my post, it is most unusual for any activity of this type to take place. This is a family place. At 7am, at the place that the incident took place, there are many Thai people, most older, retired Thai men, out for some exercise. This was not a Soi 6/1 ladyboy with a skirt half way up "her" ass. This was a young boy in a boy scout uniform. Again, this was not Pattaya, Soi 6/1, it is a family place. I don't care about anyone's sexual inclinations. I don't care what this about 14 years old, boy does. It just wasn't the time and place but, due to the sexual freedom (guys working in Tops Supermarket wearing makeup and lipstick, etc.. Thai's are very tolerant) it seemed a "Thai experience". Again, I don't care what this boy does, just very unusual time and place.

Trying to be brief, the KFC experience really had 2 parts. I said I can be impatient. So, yes, I was impatient. But, the other part had to do with the fact that Thailand is the second worst Asian country in English language ability. And, Thai's in school (I am certified to teach English and have taught in Thai schools (practice teaching not extensive)). Thai's are taught by rote. Thus, the every time, 3 minutes. Also, after the order mistake, no attempt could be made to explain to me or talk to me at all. Just, smile, and try to start again. Surely, if I were Thai, the lady would have said something like, sorry there was a mistake, I will have to place your order again. But, since Thailand does not provide adequate English language teaching skills, Thais are afraid to talk in English to falangs and can only smile and proceed without any conversation.

The part about the food court was really how there are situations when quite simply Thais give preference to other Thais over falangs. This is life and I did go out of my way to point out the other side of this particular food stand in the food court - normally a very friendly lady who gives me super service.

In the post, "Heading towards a nightmare" (or whatever, I don't recall the exact name either), I tried to be fair and self deprecating - if you read the entire thread you will see that I said things like, well, maybe its just that I am paranoid.

Also, although I was and am shocked that there are falangs who have lived in Thailand for years who don't speak a word of Thai, I am always sure to point out that my Thai language ability is very limited.

Lastly, you said, if that is all you have to worry about.... Please consider what I said about the parking lot incident - an example of a Thai person being extremely kind and nice. I am not worried about anything. I just felt I had in a very short period of time, I had had several experiences that were indicative of the special Thai culture.

I don't want to criticise but sometimes you have to let the little things go. Yes, hey can be frustrating but if you let them get to you, you'll never make the most of your Thailand experience.

And by the way, making a scene almost never makes things better - but rapidly makes most things a whole lot worse!

"Yes, and I must say I found your posts on Safe Dry Cleaners and Bloody Sweet Thai food to be very intellectually stimulating... "

If you remember the titles, everything about you is not so desperate than Tiger. Keep on studying those philosophic pillars of thai expat culture and you will soon discover new depths to your local life. As sifu Cent said "No charge".

As one who knows, I don't think every post has to be a great philosophical proclamation or edict.

I have waited in line for things whether in Thailand or out. Some establishments do understand the queuing in line process and some don't.

In my multiple decades of visits to Thailand I have never been approached by anyting that remotely resembles a Katoy. And all the gals in LOS have told me that I am handome - so that can't be it. And whilst in Thailand I think I shower about 2-4 times a day. Back to the Katoys. I do/did have a travel mate who did bring/take one back to hotel room thinking she/he/it was just a good looking 'tall' thai gal. Alcohol plaid a predominant part in his bar fining this gal/guy. The only reason I know of this is the yelling/swearing/pushing/fighting that took place in room next to mine - then into hallway as he threw her/him/it out as soon as he found out that she was a he.

I have never driven an automobile in Thailand so I can't make much of a comment on that. Other than what I have observed. Observing rules of the road and common courtesy may be lacking in some SE Asia countries.

I don't want to criticise but sometimes you have to let the little things go. Yes, hey can be frustrating but if you let them get to you, you'll never make the most of your Thailand experience.

And by the way, making a scene almost never makes things better - but rapidly makes most things a whole lot worse!

Guess I need to take a writing course. I did a 2nd post that replied to Mekong's reply. Apparently, I was posting at about the same time as you but mine came up first. So, you didn't have the opportunity to read it.

I think you will find, if you take the time to read it, that I give a fuller, better, I hope explanation of what I was trying to convey. Most importantly, my post was immediately preceded by the incident in which a young Thai guy was very kind and helpful. ....

A couple of years after my first visit to Thailand, I realized I had been with a ladyboy.

What I thought at the time was I had met this really beautiful lady. Strangely, back at my room,

"she" refused to get undressed and would only take care of me orally. So, I thought I had gotten a really good bj from a strange, beautiful lady.

Later, of course, I knew better - still a really good bj.

I find my times in Thailand to be of the nature worthy of writing about because they generally carry the Thai soap opera theme.

I try to stay away from McDonalds because of shitty service tactics. I once ordered my food and was told to go to a table and they would bring my food out. The food never came. They said "No problem". Then they wanted me to reorder and pay for the food the second time as if nothing had happened.

Twice I paid McDonalds with large bills, and both times gave me change as if it was a 100 baht bill. When I caught the problem, the person would put out of their pocket the difference and there never was a scene.

Ordering Pepsi without ice can be a challenge. I have ordered several times Pepsi without ice and ask them why I get a half glass of Pepsi.

On Koh Chang, I ordered a chesseburg once. I asked the woman where the meat was. She said I wanted a chesseburger, not a hamburger.

I had 4 Thai men, with machetes, try robbing me near the Sky Train one night. I gave 2 of them some boiling hot coffee in the face and got the hell out of there. Another farang got robbed a few blocks away before me. They got his money and it looked like they wanted more. They brought one of the machete blades down upon his head and left him for dead on the sidewalk.

Kakoeys, everybody has been bugged by kakoeys.

Archived