PAD protests...

Mentors

That is a picture of DM airport where PAD moved their protests too as you posted about at 14:46 in this thread.

I know you are venimatley anti-PAD but making captions up to suit your own opinions is taking it a bit far IMHO!

If you knew DM you would see that the photo is taken at entrance to the departures ramp.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentors, with all due respect I disagree with your argument (thanks for the photo).

This is DM, not the international one, and using the "country's image" argument is not a valid one simply because in the name of the "country's image" too many things can be done.

I just discovered today that at least 2 young TG I know (friends/colleagues of my girlfriend) have some family members going to the protest from time to time.

Hope all this will not end in a bloodbath no matter how it ends (if it ends?), both sides are fuelling the crisis and Mr T is just an added potential detonator.

For the very old Thai hands, do you think a big civil war is possible knowing the Thai mindset?

I witnessed two civil war as a teenagers, two as an adult and don't wish to have my girlfriend and my friends caught in another.

If you mean a civil war in the Balkans sort of way, no I donâ??t think that is much of a possibility and certainly not in the immediate future, Will there be more shooting in streets if some stupid policeman decides to repeat last month? That is a distinct possibility and certainly there is a precedent in recent history.

TH

Thanks, what I fear is more a Souther Thailand kind of civil war/insurrection where the vast majority of the population is just in the middle of the fighting while a small number of thugs play war...

I think that if the situation continues to go worse I will propose my girlfriend -> so she will have an opportunity to get out of the country quickly.

(I have no illusions regarding Thailand's economy if this situation goes on or worse)

Most of what you read is out of context and sensationalized (particularly by the foreign press) to the point it little resembles reality.

Note, there is no civil war in the south. There are isolated bombings and brutal murders by a small group of Muslim fanatics that refuse to identify themselves, their goals or demands, or negotiate in anyway.

TH

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was not referring to the (crap and alarmist western medias) but rather to what I felt when I was there.

All right, this did not look like Iraq or a civil war to me but more like Ireland during the IRA campaigns or like Rwandao prior to the genocide...

What I fear for BKK is more something like that:

A few bombs, a few grenades, some shootings and usually no "insurgents" caught.

Of course in the case of bkk it would be the same

(or is it already the case)?

You are mixing up the PAD with UDD, they are ones that are paying people to come from upcountry. The only people that have been proven to be paid by the PAD are the security people.

The people I know that go to PAD demonstrations are working in Bangkok and go after work a few times a week and on weekends. Many of their family members that don't work stay almost all the time.

I do agree that it is running out of steam and I am ambivalent if that is a good thing or not.

For all the warts and issues with the some of leaders, the grass root people that support the PAD have the best long term interest of Thailand in mind. If this movement dies, then the next big change in Thailand is going to be a calamity that will make what people think is now chaos look like children playing.

That is exactly my understanding and feeling as well. I've gotten to know quite a few of the supporters, as Ms Vampirella's mom is heavily involved with the pantamit (�ั��มิ�ร), as they call themselves. Indeed, everyone on her street are huge supporters, so I run into them all the time and they love to talk. They are all middle class and I do believe they have Thailand's best interest in mind and no, they do not always agree with Sondhi et al. But it is the only game in town for them, so to speak.

Cheers,

SD

What arriving passangers? No passanger has arrived at that terminal in 2 years. If you actually lived in Bagnkok your opinion might have some value, but this just shows how little you understand what is going on.

TH

International Terminal yes, but the Domestic is still active for domestic routes.

Mentors see my previous post, the picture was taken on the slope going up to the DEPARTURES level at DM.

From this ramp is also the entrance to the office where temporary goverment has been holding its meetings.

This is the protestors who went there from Goverment House at 5:20 AM this morning and is not evidence, as you claim of paid protestors flying down from up country!

Archived