Serious health warning

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

I just come back from an 8 hours brain surgery , the fine people at Bumrungrad Hospital did a full reboot of my nervous system after I enjoyed the priviledge of a return bus trip to Korat , the home of Siam's loveliest lady ( Nok).

Unfortunately my appointed van driver could not do the job ( hab family promplem ), so we decided to take the bus . After closing doors somebody switches the TV on and what follows is the most severe torture anybody can imagine , it is inhuman . First we had to follow a 90 minutes Thai movie which was so incredibly silly that even the producers must have felt guilty and underlaid it with what they probably think is music . When this was over I had to watch a 1 hour performance of a Thai comedian in a green poloshirt whom I can only desdribe as mentally sick beyond any imagination .

The return trip which lasted 5 hours due to traffic was worse . They played 2 hours Thai pop songs and then something that I cannot even identify . I tried to escape the noise by putting paper in Coca Cola and squeeze small paperballs into my ears but it did not help .

I will never ever go anywhere by bus any more in Thailand for the rest of my life . It was purest horror , Nok by the way was sleeping .

BuBi

One year towards the end of Songkran we (me, gf, my buddy and his girl) needed to get back to bkk from Phitsanulok. We did not buy tickets early and they had nothing left. I needed to get back (can't remember the reason)that day though. So the only thing left was down underneath the bus where they stored the spare tire and extra shit. The 4 of us are down there and there is one tiny little bench the girls sat on and me and my buddy just kinda laid around where we could.

During the trip, the attendant would come down to get drinks for the "upper class" and we would watch her as she just dumped what was left in the used glasses and refilled them to use again. We passed when she offered us something.

Anyway, 5 hours in the bottom of the bus was not fun.

I once got on the wrong bus to Hua Hin. Some assistant (with emphasis on the ass bit of the word) told us to get on the bus...my Thai speaking farang friend checked several times it was the correct VIP/first class air con version. We were told repeatedly it was, even though the clapped out heap of junk looked like it wouldn't make it to the end of the road.

It wasn't the correct bus.

What followed was hell on wheels. 5 hours of stopping and starting, picking up and dropping off every conceivable variety of humanity. It was packed not long outside Bangkok and remained so. People standing the entire length of the bus. There was air, but it was warm...and about as effective and powerful as the gust from a butterflies wings. No entertainment, which would've been pointless anyway as the sound of babies crying, chatter and mobile phone conversations would've rendered that useless anyway.

When we finally arrived I nearly kissed the ground...then remembered such an activity could endanger my health and look a bit strange. Most Thais on the bus slept, except the standing ones. I visibly aged and lost about 5 kilos through excess sweating.

Never again.

Archived