Where to Loy my Krathong?

ranma500

I'm taking foreign visitors to Loy Krathong for the first time.

Where should we go to float the Krathong, watch fireworks, and not be crushed by the crowds?

The Chao Phraya river has great fireworks displays organised by the 5-star hotels.

Obviously if you have money, you can book dinner at the hotels, but it's expensive.

If you're not at a hotel, the problem with the river is that most of the bank is owned, so there's not much public space. Around Taksin Bridge it gets incredibly full and crowded, and really not that much fun.

But is there another spot on the river?

Or is it worth going to one of the parks - maybe Sirikit or Lumpini? Do they have fireworks?

I normally just go to Benjasiri Park on Sukhumvit, and it's nice but definitely low key.

How about Santichaiprakarn Park or Rama IX Bridge?

Then you've got the whole question of traffic jams and how to get there.

Any suggestions?

ranma

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best views from the middle of the river. Go to Saphan Taksin skytrain station and get on the Chaophraya river express boat. I went there a few years ago and regular services were suspended, the boat just went out in the river for a while, no charge. Even better with services operating, for a few baht you can spend an hour on the boat.

"I normally just go to Benjasiri Park on Sukhumvit, and it's nice but definitely low key."

Me too. Have been for donkey's years. And will again this year with the imitable Ms Vampirella for our second anniversary (of Loy Krathong, anyway).

That said, I did get this email that may be of some interest:

[color:purple]This year, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has joint with Educational Institution and Thai Baot Association to present the Electric Float Procession from Taksin Bridge to Krungthon Bridge and the 12 lighten up buildings and historical sites along Chao Praya River during Loi Krathong Festival.

Loi Krathong Festival : The Delightful Color of Streams Tassana Pirom Yard, at Naval Assembly, Royal Thai Navy, BKK Only 999 tourists per day available with only 1,200 baht ticket. Reservation: Tel. 0 2250 5500 ext. 2115-7 [/color]

Cheers,

SD

The Chao Praya is super-impressive at Loy Krathong though, innit? I launched from the Marriot Spa in Thonburi one year. The fireworks...!

Tonight though, I shall Loy the Krathong that the kids just presented me with into the lake of my sports club.

No way am I going down to the beach after the traffic debacle last year.

How about Santichaiprakarn Park or Rama IX Bridge?

Santichaiprakarn Park would be perfect, if 95% of the crowd would stay home...you may well spend hours wrestling your way to the riverfront...

scene at nearby rama VIII bridge looks impossibly crowded as well...

best loy krathong i've had was in pitsanulok...

Archived