President-elect promised change, picking insiders

Flashermac

It was a great team. I'll give them that. Well deserved title. I have a problem with one player on that team. Isiah Thomas. He would start fights and then run behind Bill, Mahorn (thug if ever there was one..haha) and Rodman to finish his fights.

I heard Laimbeer's dad was worth around 40 or 50 million. Not sure how true that was.

Bill went to Palos Verdes High in LA. Palos Verdes is a very very rich area. Quiet money for the most part.

Thomas' friendship with Magic was well known but not many people know that he was closer with Kevin McHale. He met Thomas while he was at the Univ. of Minnesota and Thomas sole year at Indiana in some pan am game and he spent the whole time trying to talk Thomas into transferring to Minnesota. I've long heard Thomas was often found in the Celtics locker room after some of the NBA final games hanging out with McHale. Thomas offered McHale the coaching job when he was GM from what I understand. Two very unlikely friends due to the rivalry of the two teams and both from different walks of life. Thomas from inner city Chicago and McHale from the sticks in Minnesota.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mahorn (thug if ever there was one..haha)

Rick Mahorn was a bruiser but he was a funny, charming bruiser. I was heartbroken when he left the Pistons in the expansion draft after the first championship of the Bad Boys era. He ended up on the Sixers with Barkley and Manute Bol. Talk about a clown school!

My favorite NBA team ever is still the Bad Boys era Pistons, ca. 1987-1990.

We hated the Celtics, the Bulls, and the Lakers. They all hated us. It was good.

A great basketball team but a bunch of classless assholes. I'll never forgot how that little pussy Isiah led the walk off before the end of the game as the Bulls ousted them from the playoffs. That moment showed his true character, which has become more evident to those blinded by his smile over the past few years.

Joe Dumars was one of the few players from that team with any class.

There are a few players that got lost while Magic, Jordan and Bird ruled.

I'll tip my hat to Dumars as one of them. When he was hot he was virutally unstoppable. My Sixers guy, Andrew Toney was one as well. He had a season in '83 where he even outshone Dr. J a lot of the times. Again, unplayable when he was on his game. Bernard King of the Knicks was another who I recall had a week where he was averaging 50 points a game. Injuries killed his career, but he was a Jordan in the making.

The league has changed. I'd agree on that. I am bigger fan of college basketball than pros. At least the passion is still there. Players leaving early and far more parity than in the past has stifled the college hoops game a lot.

I always thought the refs let the Pistons of the bad boy era get away with far more than they should have because they were always so physical that the refs got used to it I think. Normal fouls for other teams would be normal for Pistons and I think refs let them get away with that and it had to be pretty blatant for them to get a foul.

Daley used to say that the same coaches that complained about Laimbeer in their post game interviews would be calling him in the off season wanting a trade...lol.

There's a lot that can be said about Isiah but
just about says it all.

I was a kid during that time but I recall that game vividly. lol...Knicks who were my second team after the Sixers (same division so it was strange for me) self destructed.

No one can question Isiah couldn't play but he was a snidely player as well.

Archived