President-elect promised change, picking insiders

Flashermac

She does have international 'street cred' if I can borrow an urban term. She's a known 'commodity' around the globe and I would even suggest 'trusted' to a certain extent.

Already well versed on diplomatic protocol.

If she carries out his vision, I don't see the problem. If she and or Bill 'leaves the reservation' then Obama will have a few things to answer in terms of his judgment.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more thing I want to add. I don't think she's as hawkish as some think.

I recall an interview with Dick Morris when she first ran for Senator, he said she voted for just about anything defense related. She had a reputation of being far left and wanted to counter that with a voting record that said otherwise.

Also, she went right of Obama with regards to Iraq and other foreign policy issues to win the middle, right of center, etc. for the primary and general election. It was strategy not personal conviction that molded her views in the primary.

I think she is very far left. Privately I think she's closer to Obama than we think.

Will the other world leaders take her seriously? Is she going to have Bill in tow wherever she goes?

My gut feeling is that she will sell out the USA :dunno:

No choice now, we just have to give her a chance.

There is simply no telling what the Beast will do. This is the first time in her life that she has had any real executive political power and responsibility. Being Senator was her first and only political job and she was running for President the whole time.

Now is the time for her to have whatever influence on world events she seeks. She can't even run for President for eight more years and that will probably be too late for her.

On paper she works for Bambi but the State Department has always been at least somewhat a separate power base and Obama will be extremely reluctant to fire his own Secretary of State no matter what she does. Hillary is in a strong position and she knows it. She has always seemed ambitious and ruthless to me. I expect she will do pretty much what she wants.

What exactly this is, and how it will differ from whatever Obama wants is unknowable, I believe.

Biden's turn.

Biden picks staff for vice president's office

Vice President-elect Joe Biden said Sunday he had chosen a close adviser of more than 25 years as his counselor and had picked two other longtime political advisers for key posts in his office.

Michael C. Donilon, who was part of Biden's debate preparation team and served as his traveling adviser during the general-election campaign, was named counselor to the vice president. Donilon has worked as a strategist on numerous political campaigns, including Douglas Wilder's successful campaign for Virginia governor in 1989 and Bill Clinton's presidential campaign in 1992.

Terrell P. McSweeny will serve as domestic policy adviser to the vice president, according to a statement from Biden's office. She worked as Biden's deputy chief of staff and policy director in the Senate, where she managed domestic and economic policy development and legislative initiatives, and as his issues director during the general-election campaign. She has advised three presidential candidates, including Wesley Clark and Al Gore.

Evan M. Ryan will be assistant to the vice president for intergovernmental affairs and public liaison, according to the statement. She was an adviser to Biden during the general-election campaign and served as his deputy campaign manager during the primary. Ryan worked on the White House staff from 1994 to 2000, as special assistant to first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton's chief of staff, then as deputy director of scheduling.

Ryan later worked with international agencies, including the Clinton Global Initiative in New York and PeacePlayers International, a conflict-management organization. She is also a term member of the Council on Foreign Relations.

So far kudos from both parties on Obama's selections. Not much for most conservatives to complain about. Maybe its the honeymoon period but the media can't find too much wrong with his team so far.

Seems a good idea to keep Gates in for now till all are up to speed and then get rid later on possibly. I would like to see us out of Iraq sooner than later. We really do have no business there. I can't comprehend a reason to stay in a war that we fought under false premise in the first place. No matter what happens in Iraq, good bad or whatever, we shouldn't have gone in. Although I hope things turn out for the best, my fear is that it will be used by others as justification to going into another country under false premises by saying 'if it ends well, it doesn't matter why we went in'.

So far kudos from both parties on Obama's selections. Not much for most conservatives to complain about. Maybe its the honeymoon period but the media can't find too much wrong with his team so far.

There has been plenty of conservative criticism of Bambi's picks but if your point is that you continue to be ignorant of conservatism then you need not fear contradiction by me.

If Obama appointed god you'd criticise, it's what you do, you'd say he was too intellectual or nice and must be hiding an agenda...blah blah blah.

As Obama hasn't assumed power yet, I'd suggest criticism is a futile exercise. We will have to see how he leads and sets the agenda. His handling of Hillary will be most interesting. I dislike her intensely, mostly due to her personality type, although I don't doubt her abilities. She's tough and obviously intelligent. It should be an interesting term, especially with the horrendous state of the USA at the moment. Has any president inherited such a mess before? I think it's unprecedented.

Archived