Cobra Gold 2009?

Neon Ninja

Howdy all,

I was originally planning on returning to Pattaya sometime in June; due to obligations at work, I may have to go earlier.

I would like to avoid operation "Cobra Gold" 2009 like rape, and was wondering if anyone out there had an inside track as to when they are packing it up in May.

I cought it full force one visit, and it made Pattaya a congested miserable place to be. It was reported in the Bangkok post that year that there was a two hour wait to get into that McDonalds at Royal Garden Plaza.

Not that I care about getting a crap cheeseburger, but it puts that many thousands more punters in direct competition with me for attention from the ladies.

Not that I would deny our brave sailors and marines their fun (or their cheeseburgers).

It's just that I don't need to be there when it happens! :)

Thanks a bunch!

-=/NN

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although Neon I don't doubt your experience, but in over 15 years of Cobra Gold that I have seen in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Korat, Udon and Songkhla - I have never seen anything like you have mentioned.

Even the last carrier visit to Laem Chabang/Pattaya there was not much in the way of congestion in Walking Street, hotels or the bars.

Although Neon I don't doubt your experience, but in over 15 years of Cobra Gold that I have seen in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Korat, Udon and Songkhla - I have never seen anything like you have mentioned.

Even the last carrier visit to Laem Chabang/Pattaya there was not much in the way of congestion in Walking Street, hotels or the bars.

I've never been there during high season, and I suspect that explain why my experience (as well as expectations) differs. :smirk:

-=/NN

I think people confuse Cobra Gold and a carrier group visit. During Cobra Gold, which mostly takes place upcountry, few people get liberty and make it into Pattaya. Many do take annual leaves and stay in Pattaya after the exercises are done, but it is not in the thousands by any means.

Completely different when a carrier group comes in and each watch, which could be a thousand people or more, gets a night or two out while the ships are parked outside the bay.

Trouble is, carrier group visits are not usually announced too far in advance.

TH

I think people confuse Cobra Gold and a carrier group visit. During Cobra Gold, which mostly takes place upcountry, few people get liberty and make it into Pattaya. Many do take annual leaves and stay in Pattaya after the exercises are done, but it is not in the thousands by any means.

Completely different when a carrier group comes in and each watch, which could be a thousand people or more, gets a night or two out while the ships are parked outside the bay.

Trouble is, carrier group visits are not usually announced too far in advance.

TH

Hmmm... this could be.

I distinctly recall mention at the time about an aircraft carrier.

However, I could have sworn that it was there as part of Cobra Gold that year.

It was either 2002 or 2004...

So this sucks, I could miss Cobra Gold, but could still get smacked by another carrier visit. (Which I guess is what I REALLY don't want). :banghead:

Unlikely I suppose, but still...

-=/NN

I was living in Rayong in 2001 during Cobra Gold and that year most of the exercise were in the Satahip area. I think shortly thereafter, they moved most of it upcountry.

I seriously doubt the USN would waste a carrier group on Cobra Gold, unless the timing was right it was passing through anyway.

TH

Archived