Zantika fire????

drogon

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the basement they are referring to was where the toilets and cloak room was? In which case I'd imagine the staff there died.

I'm still in shock. It was one of my favourite haunts. Knew lots of folks who went there. I feel so sad for all the families today, starting the new year with this. So terrible.

I guess the basement they are referring to was where the toilets and cloak room was? In which case I'd imagine the staff there died.

I'm still in shock. It was one of my favourite haunts. Knew lots of folks who went there. I feel so sad for all the families today, starting the new year with this. So terrible.

Ya, same here Faussie. I am hoping that no one I knew was there, but I'm sure that is futile. I just hope they are OK.

Cheers,

SD

I remembered a hotel fire in the mid 1980s where a fair number of guests (mostly Arabs) and their BGs died because the fire exits were locked "to keep thieves out". :p

Trink wrote for years about the disaster waiting to happen at NEP.

NEP has never struck me as much of a fire hazard. The exit is wide enough for large numbers of people to leave at the same time quickly without a stampede.

What if the entrance is on fire?

There are only 2 small emergency exits that I know of. One was through the kitchen of the old Woodstock. But might now have been boarded up now that it is a gogo bar. At the 3rd floor of Nanaplaza in one of the Hollywood Strip bars there used to be an emergency way out.

-> now I admire the legislation here which enforces x emergency exits' date=' clear markings for the exits, staircases width etc....

[/quote']

One of the reasons why Thailand is still a 2nd/3rd world country.

Not only Thailand; a similar fire set off by pyrotechnics during a rock show at a nightclub close to Boston in the USA killed more than a hundred several years ago.

My GF and I were returning to Phra Khanong about 1am and saw dozens of fire and rescue vehicles speeding down Sukhumvit. We were told a bomb had gone off in Chit Lom, we had no idea the tragedy was so close by.

We had spent the evening at Hillary Bar in Nana; packed to the rafters and no way out if anything had happened. Pretty scary in retrospect.

Close to Boston, but in Rhode Island...

At least 96 killed in nightclub inferno

Governor: DNA might be only clue to identity of some victims

Friday, February 21, 2003 Posted: 11:45 PM EST (0445 GMT)

WEST WARWICK, Rhode Island (CNN) -- Ninety-six people died Thursday in a fast-moving fire at a Rhode Island nightclub, Gov. Don Carcieri said Friday afternoon, adding that only a handful of the bodies have been identified.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/02/21/deadly.nightclub.fire/

Then in Boston years ago, the Mother of all nightclub fires, 492 dead

Cocoanut Grove Fire

On November 28th 1942, a huge fire occurred at the Cocoanut Grove Night Club in Boston. 492 people perished in total. The Cocoanut Grove was originally a speakeasy--an illegal bar during alcohol Prohibition--and some of its doors were bricked up or bolted shut. The main entrance to the club was only a revolving door. There were flammable decorations throughout the building including cloth drapery and paper palm trees. The club had a licensed capacity of 500 people, and on the night of the fire there were about 1000 people in the building. All of the above contributed to the tragedy.

http://www.celebrateboston.com/disasters/fires/cocoanutgrovefire.htm

Archived