Zantika fire????

drogon

One of the local 'nightly news' broadcasts made the astounding claim that 'many of the dead were foreigners'. This is the first time that I have heard that, and it comes from the sort of news 'service' that seems desperate for another Bali bombing to report on. Editors would be foaming at the mouth and peeing their pants if there had been any suggestion of terrorism ....

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mix of

University girls, the GTG stereotype, plus assorted boyfriends.

Some farang, usually guys looking for some action, although usually not a lot.

Couples, farang and Thai.

The occasional older farang with lady du jour, acquired from somewhere or maybe his girlfriend.

Always some hiso types. I've seen people racking up huge bar tabs there drinking exotic looking cocktails.

Vast majority were well dressed 20 somethings. The drinks weren't cheap, so most people there had a fair amount of money.

I may have been there 6 or 7 times...maybe more, it all blends in after a while.

Feel very affected by this. Very sad.

a report of events indicating stage lighting/electricity as the cause (accidental or otherwise) which also is well in line with electricity cut early on goes like this:

"at 12.05 my friend whom i was supposed to meet at santika called me saying there was a fire. he's been quite lucky to escape safe and sound because he was at the bar when the fire broke out. The thing is that if i went there we would have chosen to go on the mezzanine as we always do when the place is crowded.

What he told me is that few minutes after the outside fireworks , he saw the fire starting ON THE RAMP OF LIGHTS right above the stage. He is pretty positive that the pyrotechnics had nothing to do with the fire simply because there was NO PYROTECHNICS USED INDOOR.

here is what he tells happened:

12:00h countdown -happy new year

12:01h fireworks OUTSIDE shot from a nearby building

12:1xh fire starting in the lights above the stage

12:1x+10 seconds thick black smoke filling the club, big flames above the stage and already it was hard to breathe

12:1x+ 15 he went out of the club

the thing is that this guy is an airline pilot and knows well the dynamics of fire, but there he was amazed by the speed the fire extended. According to him the fire was well beyond normal speed of expansion."

(thai visa forum)

Yep agree with Faustian although I seldom saw farangs when I went (maybe 10 on a crowded night) and most were with GF/wife..

No freelancers at all but of course you could always "convince" some girls to be your gf...

Expensive, over all one step above RCA and different from Qbar -> very popular among working middle class Thais, missus colleagues used to go there a lot

I went there maybe 20 times over a few years (before and after renovation) and my fondest memory (before renovation) was when I won a pool game against some Thais...

AFP - Belga:

60 dead and 223 wounded, one Belgian between life and death -> 29 foreigners among the wounded...

One government official interviewed says:

- Staff didn't got hurt as they exited by the rear entrance door

- All people tried to escape by the main entrance, windows were closed by iron bars thus making impossible an escape by the windows.

- Most dead seem to have been killed trampled to death

I also go with Faussie & Drogon's takes on it, since we have actually been there. :doah:

A pick up joint to be sure, like any other nightclub populated by a mainly 20-something crowd -- IMHO, if you were a single guy and couldn't find a friend for the night there, then you have zero game and should stick to NEP.

But it was just a normal, mainstream place, mainly middle class & above. Yes, I know that some of you believe that any entertainment facility in LoS is loaded with hookers :banghead::cussing: , but we all know that's not true. No obvious working girls there (unlike Q-Bar, CM2, etc) and I had never been asked for money by any gal there; but plenty of unaccompanied hotties, mainly because TGs like to go out in packs with all their mates.

Cheers,

SD

Archived