Zantika fire????

drogon

Beano, I'm ringing from Oz, but that has never been a problem before. I dont want to start panicking yet - there is nothing that I can do from here anyway. If need be, I could ask a board member to ring her, but lets hope it doesnt come to that, OK ?

I guess the thing that it drives home is that life in BKK is a lot closer to living on the edge than it is for many of us in Farangland - YMMV. We dont have the luxury of wrapping anyone in cotton wool.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

more on the 'background theory':

"One conspiracy theory circulating in Thai forums is that the fire was started by an arsonist. The story goes like this:

When the lease of the club was about to expire, the owner(s) of Santika asked for an extention because the club was doing very well but then it was immediately rejected as the premises owner saw a golden opportunity in starting their new nightclub in such a prime location already popular among clubbers. This is quite common practice in Thailand in case you didn't know. They either reject an extension or ask for much higher rent.

So the Santika management got furious for obvious reasons and planned arson of the whole premises on the last day of the lease as a way to get back to the premises owner. While police investigation is still under way, many believe the Santika management will get away because 'apparently' some clubbers have come out and said the fire was started by fireworks by one of their fellow clubbers. One can't help wondering how they could be allowed to bring in such flamable material. They also must have known that the premises owner would be held responsible for the fire-trapping design of the club.

To add fuel to the conspiracy, this was the first time that fireworks were ever used and top perfomers Joey Boy and his crew miraculously escaped the fire despite being on the stage most of the time. Plus the major share holders of Santika weren't present last night when they should have been there to offer their thanks to loyal punters and see their world renowned club end in style."

Thanks Waerth, but it appears that she survived the fire:

So sorry that I reply your e-mail late a little and sorry agian that I make you worried about me. It's good to know that I have worth for someone :)

Very 'Thai girl' to be so relaxed about it, and she went on to send me photos of folk enjoying themselves out near Khao San Road - never an area that I was particularly fond of, but I am so bloody happy that her friends cant get enough of it. The other place that they like to go is a lot further out - seems like an eternity on the freeway - and I didnt see any other Farang whenever we went there. I used to bitch and moan whenever they suggested it (ever needed to take a leak while trapped in a cab ?), but I look forward to going back in February. Its amazing how things like that grow on you.

Great gobbledonk.

Yes, Thais take it in a "relax" way...

-> from what missus read/heard today, there were already attempts from some Thai medias to incriminate "bad farangs who lit some fireworks..."

From the post I read here, it seems the government will maybe investigate this seriously.

-> worlfun: I could easily believe it was a criminal incident and some people set the fire (stupid Thai business practices)

- if it is the case then I really hope the Thai authorities will jail the assholes who are responsible for eternity...but I suppose I am dreaming.

Great new year: I came out of my office, tried to call missus at midnight BKK time then spent the night with her on the phone trying to localise all her friends following the news....

Archived