Zantika fire????

drogon

She also said most of the girls are very fussy.

Sometimes I think we never really know exactly what is going on in some situations no matter how well connected we feel.

All that aside seems like a tragic waste of life.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. I was there on Valentines last year for a bit and it was packed. Just seemed to be a 'normal' club; if a little self regarding and posey. I'm in my 20's - just - so I guess I fit in the target demographic aside from my ethnicity.. oh, except I arrived in a cab instead of parking a Merc outside like some of the other revellers.

It took long enough to get from one end to the other in those 'normal' circumstances - post smoking ban by a few days, so a few were coming and going - I can only imagine the terror of trying to escape in more pressing urgency.

Sorry but the crowd at santika was mainly middle to upper middle class Thais, a few expats thrown.

Of course, some girls from G clubs could have been there but even when going out with expats only I never met an obvious BG (except one stupid farang tourist who tried to enter with 2 -> got refused the entry)...

This said, we all know a not too insignificant fringe of "GTG" wouldn't say no to a 30 years old foreigner who obviously has a bit of money and more so they wouldn't say no to a wealthy Thai either....

Of course some of the girls there were "easy pickings" and although they never asked me for "money" -> they ended up costing more than just a BG...

Anyway, RIP for the people

Tragic...very tragic. Saddest of events to usher in the New Year.

I have a question or two and an observation.

First, my question on the make up of the crowd was answered as I read the thread. I also read that a lot of the victims were falang but it seems that the crowd was predominantly Thai from what I'm reading? Was it that the falangs were slower to react?

Regarding the use of fireworks. In America and I would assume the UK and Europe, a club owner would ask the local fire department and/or some city agency if it was allowed to. The proclivity of lawsuits in the west would be an added incentive to find out if it was okay. Apologies for being skeptical but would a Thai night club owner even ask someone? If so, who would they ask? I get the feeling that club owners would do their own risk assessment and if they deemed the risk not great enough would simply go on with the planned event or act.

Lastly, the conspiracy theory about the arson. I would doubt it. Its possibly but I would imagine that most people who wish to burn their own establishment for the insurance money or whatever, do so when no one is there. The last thing you would do is set a fire when its the busiest time of the year. Loss of life begs too many questions. You want very little investigation and when there is a loss of life, it adds more investigation and more of a reason the plot will be exposed.

I've been in a couple venues where the crowd rushed the exits. Rap concerts and night clubs where some of them performed when I was a teenager would sometimes have these problems. Usually its a gun shot or a gun is brandished and people rush the exits. Being trampled is the real danger, even more than a guy having a gun I've found. I would not be surprised if a fair number of the deaths were from being trampled.

Whether the people in the club were 'hiso', working girls, lonely Farang or freakin' Romanian Gypsies on a 3-day bender really doesnt matter to me - death puts everyone on a fairly equal footing, IMO.

Its frustrating reading through the lists - other than Crazypants, I don't know the real names of any of the girls I met in the LOS. As unlikely as it is that any of them would have been in the club, I suspect that's a blessing.

RIP.

What he told me is that few minutes after the outside fireworks , he saw the fire starting ON THE RAMP OF LIGHTS right above the stage. He is pretty positive that the pyrotechnics had nothing to do with the fire simply because there was NO PYROTECHNICS USED INDOOR.

the thing is that this guy is an airline pilot and knows well the dynamics of fire, but there he was amazed by the speed the fire extended. According to him the fire was well beyond normal speed of expansion."

that would sustain the arson theory! :stirthepo

a common thai way to solve business conflicts!

completely neglecting loss of lives!

anybody know more background information about the owner of the club and the owner of the building?

Negligence has to be close to 'deliberate' arson, IMO. When so many people are saying that they cant believe how quickly the place went up, and we read reports of how flammable the materials in the roof were, all in a club notorious for pyrotechnics (based on media reports) ...

Combine all this with the situation re the lack of exits, and I cant see how the owner could avoid prosecution in a country which held people accountable for criminal negligence. Of course, TiT, so he could well be running a brand new venue this time next month, the remains of Santika bulldozed from both landscape and collective consciousness. All comes down to who he knows, and how quickly they can wrap up the 'investigation'.

Archived