Australian author sentenced to three years in jail on lese majesty charge

Mentors

Flash - in the old days your perfectly correct - however with modern printers and copiers a short run is very viable. In fact there is a company in Sydney that does short run printing - the p/copier does as good a job as most offset printers then they hand bind in hard back the books - end result is very nice!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The law is archaic, repressive and gets abused. Go back through the thread and you'll see that I've said that several times.

Actually, that is not true - you only relented on this point when pressed hard. Let's be honest here since we can all go back and look at what you really posted, how many times and when. In any event, I am glad to see you finally agree on this fundamental point. And that is always my fundamental point here.

I know nothing about the author, I am more concerned with the principle here - which is obviously the point of this entire thread - and I will leave it to others to speculation on his motives since I don't have any "operatives" checking on his background (you gotta be joking) and could care less, since that is a serious and obvious diversion (read: smoke and mirrors) to point of this thread.

Ah, finally, since I did bother to read through your posts after you claimed that you were opposed to this law from the outset (ah, not true, but never mind), I noticed a reference to hiding "behind the banner of free speech" and the enforcement of this law as being â??Very effective too.â? Apologies if I misunderstood your position, and thanks for clarifying.

Oh man. One last time. My first posts on this thread were all to do with Harry and his chances of getting out. Then I said several times the law is stupid and archaic. I asked you if you thought it was OK to break all Thai laws or just the stupid ones. Instead of answering intelligently you took this to mean I was accusing you of breaking the law. I also said it will effectively shut down self-serving clowns like Harry who hide behind the banner of free speech. There, I said it again. Yes my remark about 'operatives' was a joke. Well spotted.

What irritates me about your position is that you claim the arrest as yet another example of Thais shooting themselves in the foot. Those crazy Thais 'down the rabbit hole again' (your words) is what I get from you. Very patronizing I think. And I still don't agree about the damage. I think they felt insulted by yet another farang flaunting the law and reacted accordingly. You can argue that it was an overreaction but I think it was intentional.

Actually they have a far worse PR problem with the UN and Burmese refugees but that will probably blow over too.

IF - and only if - he broke the law the mechanics of the judicial system should just kick in without any regard whatsoever if it negatively affects the Thailand image or not.

The judicial branch is not a political entity, it does not constitute the "authorities" in the sense of governmental authorities, that indeed have to worry about what is qood or what is bad for Thailand.

If the judicial system starts to consider matters other than strictly legal considerations I am getting worried.

Montesqieu (spelling) would be rotating in his grave.

Seems we agree. The law exists and therefore somebody has to enforce it. Farang who flaunt it are insulting Thailand. Whether or not the law should be changed and what affect it has on Thailand's image and/or economy are separate discussions.

We can debate the extent to which Harry broke the law. I think it was most likely his cocky attitude that got him in trouble.

True but most laws are open to different interpretations. Laws relating to slander especially.

Lese majeste laws 'a problem' for Thais

Thailand's strict lese majeste laws cause the nation "a lot of problems", a former Thai minister and career diplomat acknowledged yesterday (January 21), and pointed to increasing pressure to amend them--especially the parts that allow anyone to accuse others of insulting the monarchy.

Dr Tej Bunnag, also a former adviser to the Thai King's principal private secretary, defended the need for legislation protecting the royal family, and noted that under the law, the police and courts had to act on any accusation of lese majeste.

"There are always lese majeste cases before the Thai courts. It takes up a lot of people's time," he said. "It causes Thailand a lot of problems, we are fully aware of this."

The frank acknowledgement by a veteran diplomat who has headed Thailand's Foreign Affairs Ministry and served briefly as foreign minister last year, came at a public lecture at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies yesterday.

While Dr Tej's talk focused on King Bhumibol Adulyadej's contributions to Thailand's development, hot issues such as the lese majeste laws and the country's political turmoil dominated the question-and-answer session that followed.

The nation's harsh lese majeste laws came under the spotlight again recently when an Australian author was sentenced to three years' jail for insulting the monarchy and a Thai academic had to face charges over similar claims.

The author's family yesterday said they have appealed to King Bhumibol for a pardon.

The Thai authorities have also blocked thousands of websites for allegedly insulting the country's revered monarchy, drawing criticism from rights groups and media organisations, which say that the law could be abused by those who use it as a tool to harass their opponents.

"There is no question...of how revered the King is to Thai people, but to non-Thais, the severity of the laws is striking," said one participant at the forum.

Dr Tej replied that there were 'moves' to amend the laws but he did not elaborate.

But he also pointed out that Thailand's lese majeste laws were not unique. Countries like Singapore, he noted, had laws protecting people from slander.

"Certain institutions in certain countries are very sensitive," he said. "You cannot compare the members of the royal family of the United Kingdom with members of the royal family in Thailand."

Source: Straits Times - 22 January 2009

Archived