Gout anyone?

skirtlifter

I get recurring gout in the big toe of my right foot about 2 times per year. I take Colchicine? regularly to lessen the uric acid in my blood and it it's quite effective. Lately however a lump has developed on the bottom joint, growing outwards. I assume it is the build up of crystals in the joint. Just wondering if there is a wonder drug which will reduce this swelling or whether it will need to be removed surgically. Anyone experienced the same thing? :help:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have gout as well, and do not know of any miracle drug to reduce the growth, if it is indeed caused by uric acid. When I had attacks, I would try to drink as much water as possible, trying to dilute and potentially dissolve crystalline formation. The colchicine you take is supposed to help with relief of gout attack as well.

Personally, I take allopurinol on a daily basis to prevent gout attacks and have doing so for about 4 years and have not had an attack in that time period. A good friend of mine who used to have dibilitating attacks of gout started on allopurinol as well and has had no reoccurences of attacks.

Firstly, have you had a positive medical diagnosis of gout including blood tests for uric acid and purine levels? the reason I ask is because it doesn't sound like classic gout to me, it sounds like it could well be a bunion.

Archived